DC comic creator regrets seeing "Cats" on 'shrooms

Cats is the sort of movie i would strongly recommend people to not see, unless they’re the sort of people that like trainwrecks then definitely it’s a hell of a thing. I’ve seen worse movies, i’m not sure this squarely falls into the “So bad it’s good” category either, it’s weird and baffling but there’s enough there that someone could make it through the whole thing.

When talking about it afterwards with my roommate my best summation of it was that Cats isn’t a movie you see, it’s an experience that happens to you. I don’t know if this is the kind of movie i would inflict upon friends like The Room, probably not.

3 Likes

The film adaptation of PKD’s A Scanner Darkly was weird and poorly received if you’re looking for something of that genre.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how Roger Waters sounds so much like old Pink Floyd, and Pink Floyd… Doesn’t ^^’.

2 Likes

The A Scanner Darkly movie was…odd…but I actually enjoyed it.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen it in almost 10 years but i recall loving the hell out of it. It’s definitely trippy and weird kind of like Fear & Loathing, but as long as someone knows what kind of movie they’re getting into it should be a great watch.

4 Likes

I especially liked it, because the weird rotoscoping effect was surprisingly good at giving you that bizarre, “trippy”, uneasy-in-your-own-skin feeling PKD was trying to project in the book.

4 Likes

I appreciated that the rotoscoping was done by hand, at the time i was going to college for Animation so i watched it purely with that angle in mind. These days it likely would’ve been achieved cheaply through some kind of post processing algorithm, i wouldn’t mind as long as it looked great but knowing they did every single frame by hand (using digital drawing tablets) really makes me appreciate the movie that much more.

5 Likes

It’s pretty brutal that even adding a sacrifice/death cult subplot leaves you with ‘not much of a story’. You should be able to wring at least a feature length film or entire season of episodes out of the struggle between acolytes for ascension in death.

1 Like

Actually, if you go by the original book, it was aliens ^^’ .

1 Like

I’ll submit Zardoz. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

tbh I went with a friend, so there were two.

It wasn’t really a bad film per se. It was just way overhyped and way overbudget. There were some interesting bits but the tone was not consistent enough. Now Junior was just plain bad.

1 Like

Of course! EVERYONE submits to Zardoz.

4 Likes

But a movie that gives you an image like this

Deserves at least the kind of pity one gives a 3 legged cat

3 Likes

Oh don’t get me wrong it is not a good movie and it actually destroyed careers. It’s just a guilty pleasure from my youth. Honestly the best bit in it is Steve Martin.

2 Likes

I’ve lost count of the bad movies I’ve seen in the theatre. A small sample:

1 Like

God damn how deep is the awful in this movie wow

It’s like a flaming bucket of human waste dumped into a vat of acid, which is in turn dumped in another bucket of flaming human waste.

I have never liked the idea of cats it is incredibly stupid incredibly incredibly incredibly stupid. If I could go back in time and take TS Eliot and feed him to some cats for writing any of this I would

Don’t blame him.
Blame Adrew Lloyd Webber for the abomination. While he gave us Jesus Christ Superstar (and I wonder how much of that was Tim Rice) and Phantom was actually good if not as amazing as everyone was telling me it was. I haven’t seen Evita but the songs I have heard are good.
But then there was also Starlight Express about train engines with the cast on rollerskates. And of course Cats.

I see on Wikipedia he has been active but not much that I have heard of.

3 Likes

I sense a Webber vs Sondheim battle in the making. Hopefully we can do it without closing out the thread.

I’ll meet your bid and raise you…

1 Like