Howard the Duck

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I paid money to see that in the theater… opening weekend even. While it is indeed awful, I enjoyed it a lot.

11 Likes

I actually liked this movie. Maybe it was the nearly-naked Leah Thompson that blinded me to its…deficiencies.

7 Likes

I look forward to the Marvel Studious version of this material. After all, Howard already appeared in the post-credit scene in their best movie yet, Guardians of the Galaxy! Although I was the only one in the cinema laughing out loud upon seeing that character.

7 Likes

I remember sitting through this wondering how it managed a PG rating. A good friend had a pretty solid Howard comic collection, but I was still surprised by how many explicit references to sex–and plenty of near-nudity, or actual nudity if you count a duck woman’s nipples–the film had.

5 Likes

Same. Best thing about it was Jeffrey Jones, and even that has been ruined by later…events.

3 Likes

DEATH FROM THE SKIES TO ALL DUCK HUNTERS!

Love this movie.

Yes, it’s terrible, but it has a very charming performance from Tim Robbins, great stop-motion, and some fantastically horrid '80s rock. I must have listened to the sound track a thousand times,

Now where’s my Blu Ray?

1 Like

Oh man… 8 year old me fucking LOVED this movie. I watched my VHS copy of it WAY too many times.

2 Likes

As truly bad as it is, that movie accomplished a singular feat I’ve yet to see duplicated. It started off weird as fuck and continued to steadily ratchet up the weirdness for almost two hours! Even Buckaroo Banzai flagged a bit here and there.

13 Likes

I loved this when I was seven or eight (watching on tape). It was only recently that I discovered it bombed so badly.

I think the film just mis-targeted its audience. Clearly it wasn’t intended for seven-year-olds (I remember being confused by the rolled-up condom), but if it had been it probably would have done well.

In the defense of this movie I should say that not only have there been worse films, but there have been worse comic book films, several of them quite recently… But I’m not sure I would ever pay money to see this again.

2 Likes

If watching a scantily-clad Lea Thompson attempt to seduce a talking duck is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

10 Likes

HtD is a misunderstood, under-rated masterpiece. Like UHF. It’s only starting to become a Cult Film. One day it will get its due.

4 Likes

Only the release of Tank Girl at around the same time keeps this from being #1 on my worst-of-all-time comic-to-movie list.

Funny thing, I just heard Lea Thompson talking about this movie on The Nerdist podcast. She also thought it sucks, and felt that had the movie come out a bit later, and used Roger Rabbit-style animation instead of a little guy in a rubber suit, it might have worked. But it didn’t, and it doesn’t.

Worked as film crew on this, but never saw it. OMGlob was it 30 years ago?
I remember burning down the Cajun Sushi bar three times. And meeting Thomas Dolby.
Thanks Jason.

3 Likes

This is your fault, AND your fault. The post on FB reminded me to ask Hannah if she wanted to see it.

1 Like

You are a better man than me for not seeing it and yeah 30 years ago…which like means I am old. :older_man:

2 Likes

It had a pretty successful second life as a nearly weekly repeat on USA Network’s overnight programming in the 90s.

1 Like

I would have thought Howard’s cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy would have sparked a comeback.

3 Likes

I honestly loved this movie.

And not just because of this.

Although it didn’t hurt.

5 Likes