De Niro says Apple censored his award show speech, so he read the original from his phone

Originally published at: De Niro's Censored Speech at Gotham Awards

9 Likes

Apple will no doubt claim this was an “accident”, but someone made a decision to cut the first part of the speech out on the teleprompter.

10 Likes

Well done, Mr De Niro, well done.

21 Likes

Anybody with a functioning brain will reply:

Brady Bunch K GIF

12 Likes

We need everyone to speak truth to power, or all is lost.

13 Likes

Indeed. And we also need power that gives a shit.

8 Likes

Power only gives a shit if it’s forced to. If you are relying on the conscience of a company or other hegemon, you’re already fucked. Score you ask the question .

10 Likes

Yeah - I’m just old enough to remember and value the concept of “public service”. Seems like an anachronism these days. ‘Personal consequences’ is all they understand now (and sometimes not even those).

8 Likes

Good on him.

8 Likes

Variety has some of the skinny…

A revised version of the speech was delivered to the teleprompter less than ten minutes before the event started, according to sources with knowledge of the show. A woman who told the teleprompter operator to upload a new speech was overheard identifying herself as an Apple employee. At 6:54 p.m., the teleprompter company was sent an email from two Apple employees with the new text, which omitted explicit references to Trump. It instead had De Niro reference how “watching the news today” makes it clear that “we actually are living in a post-truth society.” Variety has reviewed a copy of that email. The Gothams, an annual celebration of film and television, had nothing to do with the cuts to the “Killers of the Flower Moon” star’s remarks, according to insiders. A spokesperson for De Niro said that the actor did not see the changes.

A source close to the film denied that there was any censorship involved and said that the incident was a miscommunication. There had been multiple versions of De Niro’s speech and there was a desire to focus solely on the moviemakers and their artistry, according to the source. Apple and the filmmakers were unaware that De Niro hadn’t signed off on the final draft, the insider added.

See-agron-is-healthy-here GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 Likes

So, they thought he wouldn’t notice that they cut his speech. Now they’re trying to blame the proverbial dog for eating the homework.

5 Likes

Here’s a video showing De Niro initially reading the second part of his speech from the teleprompter, and then getting his phone out to read the first part of his speech; even if this video is slightly edited, it has more context; additionally, this video contains the acceptance speeches from Talee Redcorn and Lily Gladstone.

5 Likes

i know people enjoy bashing on apple, but i just don’t see why apple would even care what he had to say. it’s not like they an a company or even Tim Cook would disagree with anything he read.

1 Like

Really? Why did Jon Stewart quit his show?

4 Likes

Seems like a different thing entirely to me, but ok, i don’t see anything that De Niro said that endangers Apple’s business in China.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.