Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

On"The X-files" he played the freaky mutant who could only eat cancer, which is how Scully found out she had the disease. Great episode

5 Likes
6 Likes

I never saw the movie Fame, but I knew the premise and knew it was one of Alan Parkerā€™s movies. Recently, I rewatched some ER episodes and I looked up Paul McCraneā€™s IMDb bio and I was totally stunned that this a-hole doctor was in that movie as a student? (Iā€™m guessing.)

@NukeML, I didnā€™t do a deep dive into his credits but now that you mention that X-Files episode, I totally remember him. Leonard Betts is one of many memorable characters on that show.

5 Likes

Yeah, so you had the opposite of my experience. In my mind, he was this really nice, talented kid who had a rough time in school. The only thing that couldā€™ve shocked me more wouldā€™ve been a young Hugh Laurie appearing in that film, I guess.

Thinking back on Leonard Betts, I probably couldnā€™t recognize the actor while watching through my fingers and clutching a blankie (my usual X-Files viewing position after the episode ā€œHomeā€). :cold_sweat:

3 Likes
13 Likes

I guess Brian Dennehy came back for him after all.

12 Likes

But did he die of Diabeetus?

Wow he was only 51 in Cocoon. Heā€™s been old for a long time.

9 Likes
5 Likes

ā€œThe actor died Saturday morning at a Utah hospital, according to his manager, Lynda Bensky. He was on dialysis and had several medical issues.ā€

8 Likes

Kidney disease, according to wikipediaā€™s list of notable deaths this year.

8 Likes

Then thereā€™s the Tom Cruise age comparison which always blows my tiny mind when i think about it.

14 Likes
8 Likes
12 Likes

Thatā€™s sad news.

10 Likes

Such a montage might imply that the path to peace was a steady, inevitable treadmill towards success. But the people of Northern Ireland remember how hard Humeā€™s task really was, and that ā€œthe bits in black and whiteā€ went on a lot, lot longer. They know that escaping that period involved decades of often thankless, always exhausting activism, which went far beyond delivering speeches and signing documents.

One wonders, for example, how Michael Gove reconciles his ode to Hume as ā€œa man of great integrity and wisdom who stood against violence and for peace with courage and steadfastnessā€ with the 58-page pamphlet he published in 2000, which compared the Good Friday agreement to appeasing the Nazis, or indulging the proclivities of paedophiles.

Donā€™t want to quote it all, go give the Guardian some ad revenue.

Feels a bit weird to see people like this in a thread called ā€œDead Celebrityā€, which I think was initially founded as a place to mark, say, Octomom running her Escalade into an embankment, butā€¦

6 Likes

Well John Lewis is above so heā€™d be proud to be in that company. As he got dementia in later years he wasnā€™t as celebrated as others, and his party was relentlessly sidelined but he did the heavy, heavy lifting and put himself and his body on the line for peace and the personal respect and love for him is truly immense. I havenā€™t seen anything like it since Heaney died maybe.

ETA
Gove the sociopath never lets you down if you are looking for examples of him being a human piece of shit.

7 Likes

:cry:

12 Likes
12 Likes

James Harris had a long career from the late 70s into the 90s.

A reminder, too, of how much pro-wrestling often leaned into racial stereotypes for people of colorā€¦

Also, his stage name and his last name are the same as the possible VP candidateā€¦ :thinking:

12 Likes

He seems to have had a particularly rough life both during his career in wrestling (including some shocking mistreatment by Vince McMahon and of course racism from some of his colleagues), and eventually losing both his legs from diabetes complications.

RIP, Kamala.

8 Likes