Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I was not familiar with her, but…

4 Likes

John Saxon was in everything, if you know to look for him.

13 Likes

He was a great character actor and it’s that guy of his time. I consider a show worth a watch if he is in it.

11 Likes

I can’t think of the 1970s TV without thinking of him; he was on every cop/PI show. I swear he did at least one episode of every Aaron Spelling show, too. Fantasy Island? Check. Dynasty? Check. Melrose Place? Check.

10 Likes

The guns are randomly loaded. It’s a little game I play.

5 Likes

His Sci-Fi movie and TV appearances were also staples of my childhood. I cannot forget those Gene Roddenberry Genesis II plots - Planet Earth, and Strange New World:

9 Likes
14 Likes

Never been a fan of “GWTW”, but Olivia De Havilland is the literal definition of Old School.

10 Likes

When I was a kid WGN-TV used to show old action and comedy movies in tight rotation on Sunday mornings; I probably saw the Robin Hood with De Havilland and Errol Flynn 50 times by the time I moved away.

Time again to rewatch The Male Animal, a story about the importance of academic tenure dressed up as a typical college football comedy. (The main plot is the sacking of an English professor because he read a letter from an anarchist in his class.)

9 Likes
11 Likes

He was also the dad in Nightmare on Elm Street.

9 Likes

He had a really long and varied career, playing parts from lead in a rock and roll musical, to cannibalistic Vietnam vet, to evil galactic overlord.

Before the days of twitter, Facebook, et al he used to have his own website where he would regularly communicate with fans.

10 Likes

I just looked on IMDb and that’s his profile photo - a still from Nightmare… He had 198 credits and worked almost every year since 1954. :open_mouth: It looks like he has a release for 2021, too. (He must have really loved what he did for a living.)

8 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Do you have the url for an archive search? I tried johnsaxon.com, but that brings you to a publisher (there’s a John Saxon who wrote a series of K-12 math textbooks very popular with home schoolers and some Montessori schools).

This might be easier if you’re a journeyman actor rather than a superstar, since there is less pressure on the kind of roles you can get or will take. Saxon, while reasonably distinctive looking, was just forgettable enough that he could even play different characters in different episodes of the same TV series. Had Planet Earth been a success(*) and become a series, he might have lost that chance.

(*) Thank goodness it didn’t, I love Gene Roddenberry but the way he addressed relationships between men and women was always rather adolescent, and Planet Earth was the second-worst of his productions in this regard.

6 Likes

The site is actually still around(!), but you will have to actually use the internet archive to access his messages.

6 Likes

Based on the statements from the surviving members of Roots, may his family find peace.

8 Likes

Joel’s death bothered me. I love Lost Boys and I genuinely think that Batman & Robin is the most fun batman movie. It just wasn’t the right movie to make at the time.

2 Likes
10 Likes

“Betcha U2 are shittin’ themselves.”

RIP, Alan Parker.

5 Likes

Wow. Looking back at his work brought up a lot of memories. A funny one about Fame happened during a get-together with a friend who really liked the show ER. I’d never watched it before, but was sitting with her and wondering why one actor’s face seemed familiar. It was Paul McCrane, and he seemed so different. I LOLed after figuring out who he was, and watched the movie again:

2 Likes