Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Bob Dole said Bob Dole was one tough bastard.

17 Likes

My grandfather fought in WW2 , saw some things, and did some things. And had some things done to him. Served in the Pacific theater and Island hopped. He never talked specifically about that, but during the Dole-Kemp run, he said very pointedly, “The things that man did and had done to him are things I did and had done. Don’t worry about us. God owes us favors. We’ll leave when we are damn good and ready.”

He also made it to 98.

22 Likes

One of my Yugoslavia deployments in the '90s was with the 1/87 infantry, which was Bob Dole’s old regiment when he was injured in Italy. He came out to visit us before our deployment, with practically no fanfare. Just came out to talk and meet people. He told some stories and kept it at a soldier-soldier level. While we were deployed his office sent us care packages and Christmas cards. This was after he had retired from the Senate.

Bob Dole’s legacy in Bosnia is, complicated, but I think his support for our unit was sincere.

20 Likes

Missed this news last week:

13 Likes

This is how you lose an election. Dole showed up on Letterman the Friday after he lost. And Bob Dole with Norm MacDonald also right after the loss.

9 Likes

As someone who grew up in Kansas, I can say he was no Nancy Kassebaum, but he definitely was far from the Q-nuttiness of today.

16 Likes

I was thinking of this as well. He’d now be considered the left wing of the Republican party.

9 Likes

Ever had an MRI scan?

10 Likes
7 Likes
17 Likes
10 Likes
16 Likes
15 Likes

(Why can I imagine Leonard Cohen covering this, circa I’m Your Man?)

ETA: The first time SXSW had a film festival, 1994, Mike Nesmith was supposed to have been a guest but he ended up not attending. But it’s why Repo Man and Tapeheads were part of the line-up – Nesmith and/or his prod. company were involved (and IIRC Nesmith had a particular affinity for both films). They also showed Nesmith’s own Elephant Parts and Doctor Duck’s Super Secret All-Purpose Sauce.

13 Likes
12 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

I’d put Different Drum and Joanne up there on his personal best song credits. Though Lunda Ronstadt owns Different Drum.

5 Likes

Is what I think of when I hear of him.

4 Likes

Monkees’ Manager on Michael Nesmith’s Final Months: ‘He Died Knowing They Were Beloved — He Finally Got It’

Andrew Sandoval talks about how the drive to go out and say thank you to the fans on one last tour revivified Nesmith this fall.

7 Likes