Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

For me, it’s Papa Gene’s Blues:

“I have no more than I did before,
But now I have all that I need;
For I love you and I know you love me”

9 Likes

Was this a breakthrough case or was he one of those older punk artists who decided being anti-vax was punk? COVID’s taken out a lot of those.

I have no idea.

Mensi and the Angelic Upstarts were antifascist though, so hopefully it isn’t unthinking anomie.

3 Likes

Oh thanks for that. Lovely tune. I’ve developed a taste for late 6Ts early 7Ts country rock (burrito bros, Gene Clarke etc.) and I’ve been listening to him today and enjoyed it.

It is a sad thing that so often my Saturday music listening of late has been informed by a dead musician (it’s been a fearful winnowing) but at least I have listened to many musicians I had neglected and celebrated their great lives.

And right now I’m going back to listening to Robbie Shakespeare tracks. I haven’t celebrated his greatness enough this week. I couldn’t believe he was so young. He has been there all my life.

7 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes

I remember when the Vampire Chronicles had a huge resurgence in the early 1990s. I never realized the first book was published in the late 1970s.

4 Likes

I think it’s because goth as a subculture was kind of on the ascendancy during the 1990s, so a bunch of younger goths were getting into older gothic literature…

5 Likes

Well, young at the time. We’re not so young any more.

I wonder whether the rise of Goth led to the Interview with a Vampire movie, vice-versa, or did the two feed each other.

1 Like

The roots of goth predate the films (books from the around the same time), but they certainly were a ready audience for the films and books. But the goth scene was never as influential as punk, I’d argue.

1 Like

The Castle of Otranto etc. enters the conversation…

4 Likes

Optical fibre changed the telecomms world. Ever wondered where it originated … ?

13 Likes
6 Likes

Nooooooo!

Much too soon…

I’ve been inspired, taught, and righteously enraged by so much of her work. :cry: :pray:

13 Likes

Super sad news… Here is an interview she did with Laurie Anderson and Theaster Gates a few years ago…

9 Likes

And the effing WaPo can’t get the capitalization correct.

ETA, from the author of the article:

12 Likes

Theaster Gates is a hero, himself!

5 Likes

I was not familiar with his work prior to hearing that interview! Interesting work he does!

5 Likes

One of his projects, in my old neighborhood:

Here’s a brief summary of a selection of his many accomplishments:

6 Likes

Awesome! Thanks!

5 Likes