Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Has NYT adopted the BB style guide for the use of “gentleman”?

9 Likes

This will likely mean zilch to anyone outside the UK or maybe younger than 50 but his sitcoms were works of art - Rising Damp, especially.

Chappell was a prolific writer for theatre and television but his crowning achievement was Rising Damp, described as ITV’s finest ever sitcom by Mark Lewisohn, the author of the Radio Times Guide to comedy.

It ran between 1974 and 1978 and had a magnificent central cast of four: Leonard Rossiter as the miserly, manic landlord Rigsby, Frances de la Tour as the dreamy romantic Miss Jones, Don Warrington as the suave Philip, who claims to be the son of an African chief, and Richard Beckinsale as the naive and good-natured medical student Alan.

Rising Damp regularly attracted audiences of 18 million. Its many fans include the Guardian’s film editor, Catherine Shoard, who wrote in 2009: “At its best, it bears comparison with Beckett and Pinter.”

4 Likes

In San Diego in the late 70s/early 80s we inexplicably got The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Absolute brilliance.

3 Likes
11 Likes

Does anyone else do this?

I watch old TV shows and then Google the cast to see what ever became of them. Sometimes the wife and I end up sad because they die so young.

Tonight we were watching a very early Andy Griffith “A Feud is a Feud”, there’s a young couple in the first scene, the girl was 18, she was murdered at 22 and it’s still unsolved.

There’s even a JFK conspiracy connection.

3 Likes

Try googling the cast of Blazing Saddles. Aside from Mel Brooks, everyone else has gone.

4 Likes

Susan Jacks passed away a couple days ago.

Reading about her, I didn’t realize she had been married to Terry Jacks, singer of one of my favorite songs.

4 Likes
10 Likes
4 Likes
12 Likes

Oh no! Sad news.

They just performed at the CMT awards.

8 Likes

Regine’s claim she invented the disco originates from the first nightclub she opened in Paris in the 1950s.

9 Likes
5 Likes

This was actually from last August… Mainly I knew him as the photographer of the Filles de Kilimanjaro cover:

(non-paywalled)

4 Likes

You might remember her this way…

10 Likes
4 Likes

He always drew the best Avengers covers too.

3 Likes

Her death is reported as suicide now. Poor thing.

13 Likes

Well, fuck.
Feelings Reaction GIF

5 Likes

Today is the 1st year anniversary of Kentaro Miura’s death. Rest in peace, Sensei. You will not be forgotten.

2 Likes