Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

8 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Pick your link:

Berger is possibly the only Germanophone actor of his generation who became a truly international star (or, for the lack of better word in my vocabulary, a world-class diva).

10 Likes

I’ve been meaning to watch that de Sica film for ages but I must admit not knowing this actor at all. And I do know a fair number of German actors from back then as I watch quite a lot of films.

5 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Damn. I liked his acting. Hope his family can cope.

2 Likes

BBC News - Rolf Harris: Serial abuser and ex-entertainer dies aged 93

8 Likes

I was going to post Martin Amis’s death but I just thought “why bother? I didn’t like him”. For someone so quintessentially English I think he was in thrall to the 20th century American idea of the novel: rich white men writing “important” books about wanking and whatever. He was funny, obviously a total, unbearable, dick, so he could be interesting in short doses.

He shared with his great friend Hitchens a talent for inserting himself into conversations which would be better without his presence (as well as arrogance, bullying, and smugness). Nowhere did this become more apparent than in their reaction to the Saudi terrorist attacks on the US in 2001 and the subsequent imperial wars of oppression in Afghanistan and Iraq. While Amis says he regretted his racist anti Islamic slurs shortly after saying them (IIRC in the Grauniad obit) actually his racism was pretty constant. He, Hitch, Dawkins and other English men of his generation wrote op Ed’s from a perspective which did not deserve to be boosted. It ended up essentially supporting racist, imperialist wars unchallenged.

I think that the shout of “stay in your lane” is often used to avoid critical perspectives from other fields (no I won’t stay in my lane computer scientists when we are arguing over AI - there is so, so much you don’t know about it using your narrow lens) but one field we don’t need the perspective of, on everything, is rich white male novelists. I’m thinking also of Ian McEwen’s lengthy, wordy, essays on geopolitics back then and John Harrison and China Mieville’s response to McEwens critique of SF and “genre fiction” -

“As M John Harrison, another of MiĂ©ville’s literary heroes, recently wrote in his blog, “The sooner literary fiction recognises and accepts its generic identity, the sooner it can get help.” MiĂ©ville heartily concurs: “I love genres; I think they are fascinating. My issue with litfic is not that it is a genre but that (a) it doesn’t think it is and (b) it thinks it’s ipso facto better than all the ones that are genres. Literary fiction of that ilk – insular, socially and psychologically hermetic, neurotically backslapping and self-congratulatory about a certain milieu, disaggregated from any estrangement or rubbing of aesthetics against the grain – is in poor shape.” MiĂ©ville identifies Ian McEwan’s Saturday, set around the 2003 demonstration against the Iraq war, as a “paradigmatic moment in the social crisis of litfic”.

“In the early 2000s there was this incredible efflorescence of anger and excitement . . . It seemed to me that Saturday quite bolshily said, 'OK, you accuse us of a neurotic obsession with insularity and a certain milieu. I’m going to take the most extraordinary political event that has happened in Britain for however many years and I am going to doggedly interiorise it and depoliticise it with a certain type of limpid prose . . . It was a combative novel that met that sense of there being a crisis and de-crisised it through its absolute fidelity to a set of generic tropes.”

While the personal is certainly political, for the privileged litfic writer the political is only personal.

Which is why even when I agree with Martin Amis (say in his critique of the restoration of upper class to acceptance and fawning love in modern films and TV I half read this morning - you might not be able to get past his comparison of being unable to leave a movie early because he was with Rushdie with Iranian torture but I enjoyed some of the rest)

I don’t see Amis as being capable of solidarity and I don’t see him as having been capable of being a good ally to any progressive movement.

7 Likes

Yeah, I think that gets at some of my own discomfort about the fawning praise aimed at Amis
 Thanks!

3 Likes

Mean Girls Women GIF by filmeditor

7 Likes

I don’t usually come to this thread for good news, but for this I’ll make an exception.

9 Likes

No worries :+1:

6 Likes

Rest in Piss

9 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Came here to post the same.

Sad Cartoon GIF

6 Likes

The world is a little bit duller now :pleading_face:

9 Likes