Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

There’s a joke ready for development: “So Pete Burns, Jack Chick and Tom Hayden all appear at [AfterlifeMythosOfChoice]…”

7 Likes

And Bobby Vee.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a comedy show, written by Jimmy Perry.

4 Likes

http://www.tor.com/2016/10/24/sci-fi-and-mystery-author-sheri-s-tepper-1929-2016/

6 Likes

I don’t know if this will mean as much to others as it does to me, but…I fucking love Sour Patch Kids

When you google “Sour Patch Kids” it comes up with the candy’s tagline: “Sour. Sweet. Gone.” At first glance I thought it was an epitaph…

5 Likes

I don’t, but now I’ve got to text the news to my kids.

2 Likes

A local guy. The story of his stealing a plane to escape a German POW camp is pretty funny. I’ve heard he was originally the pilot who would have flown the plane that broke the sound barrier but he was being punished for “rambunctious behavior”, so he had to follow Chuck Yeager.

6 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed that there was a pilot more rambunctious than Chuck Yeager. This guy must have been a hoot!

6 Likes

Do buildings count as dead celebrities? @noahdjango, did you hear this?

They are closing the infamous murder Kroger today. I suggest that when they open the new kroger in 2019, someone will immediately get killed, because murder Kroger…

5 Likes

I’m surprised they’re opening in the same location. They don’t do that around here. Personally, I prefer to shop at Drug-Deal Meijer over Prostitution Meijer, because they’re both safer than Carjack/Armed-Robbery Kroger. (Dafuq is up with grocery store parking lots and crime?)

All the same, hooray! No more Murder Kroger (for now).

5 Likes

But the murder kroger is a landmark! We’re all going to get confused now and end up at the disco Kroger now.

[ETA] Here are pics from the memorial last night:

And in the ATL we name all our Krogers, because reasons:

Okay, last [ETA] I promise… I think in the pictures, lots of the people at the vigil were probably kids when this Kroger got it’s name… I had a friend who lived in the neighborhood across the street from that Kroger though at the time that it got it’s reputation. So, I spent time in that neighborhood when rents were still cheap and it was a pretty queer area of town.

6 Likes

oddly, WABE had a live remote from the parking lot. I usually ignore talk radio but I happened to land on it, so I heard about it that way. I wish I’d heard earlier so I could have partaken in some of the fire sale action.

here’s a pic of Mr. T in the produce section there a few halloweens ago

my coworker has a tshirt with the kroger logo flanked by letters dripping blood that say MURDER FOREVER.

I moved here because I loved how fucked up ATL was. you could just do whatever you wanted and be left alone. you could openly smoke weed at MJQ and Kaya for years. seems like a bunch of people after me moved here so they could make it nice. it just ain’t the Dirty South no mo’.

5 Likes

MR.T!!!

Gentrification!!!

When all the marginalized spaces have been converted into fusion restaurants and upscale storage spaces for yuppies (high end lofts), where will all the weirdos go.

4 Likes

Some other place that will get gentrified in 20 years time and eventually the hipness will wear off the original place and it will run down, get inhabited by the weirdos again, lather rinse repeat.

4 Likes

Raoul Wallenberg. Missing since 1945, now declared dead.

1 Like

Makes you wish a White Hat hacker would figure out a way to get into Russian files and find out the real answer, just for the family’s sake.

6 Likes

That would be great, wouldn’t it. But I guess athlete’s medical records and internal political bickering are higher priority targets.

8 Likes

Jean Jacques Perrey, French electronic music producer, died 4 November 2016 of lung cancer. He was 87.

Befriending Robert Moog, he became one of the first Moog synthesiser musicians, creating “far out electronic entertainment”. In 1965 Perrey met Gershon Kingsley, a former colleague of John Cage. Together, using Ondioline and Perrey’s loops, they created two albums for Vanguard — The In Sound From Way Out (1966) and Kaleidoscopic Vibrations (1967). Perrey and Kingsley collaborated on sound design for radio and television advertising. Perrey returned to France, composing for television, scoring for ballet, and continuing medical research into therapeutic sounds for insomniacs.

I was introduced to Perrey’s sound through my uncle’s records at an early age, could not get enough “Swan’s Splashdown.” For the bOING bOINGers and happy euphony mutants, I present Perrey and Kingsley’s “Barnyard in Orbit.”

16 Likes

I knew him because of “E.V.A.,” a really great tune. It was brought to my attention as the sample from “Just To Get A Rep.” My local DJ shop carried a bootleg version of it as a single. It was also covered by … I think it was Fatboy Slim.

5 Likes

I gave the Cosmic Machine album to my spouse for a holiday gift. We listened to it for much of the day. Perrey’s music is ginger ale for my ears.

4 Likes