Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Boo!

We saw her when we lived in Savannah. She was really funny.

5 Likes

Prince Buster

8 Likes

Alexis Arquette

7 Likes

Kim “Hatchet Face” McGuire :cry:

6 Likes

Started a thread here:

This year really blows… even celebrity deaths have seemed particularly horrible.

3 Likes

W.P. (“Bill”) Kinsella, Canadian writer, died today at his home in Hope, B.C., age 81. CBC Obituary for Bill Kinsella

The day an acquaintance excitedly called me to share that W.P. Kinsella was interested in playing Scrabble with us, I was packing to leave the country. My husband and I did meet Bill a few years later, at a Scrabble tournament. They played a few games together; I occasionally chatted Bill up between match-ups.

I had been warned that Bill was not thrilled with how his Frank Fencepost chronicles were adapted in “Dance Me Outside”, a Bruce McDonald film whose screenwriter I also knew, and that he could be grumpy. We didn’t find this to be the case at all: Bill had a great time at tournaments, and when he moved away from the Vancouver area, formed a Scrabble club in his new territory. At a Victoria tournament, a bonus cash prize was offered for “highest-scoring Victoria word” and Bill submitted “PENISES” (Victoria is British Columbia’s provincial capital). He was down-to-earth and approachable, and very funny.

His work has often concerned baseball, First Nations people, and other Canadian issues. He was best known for the novel Shoeless Joe, later adapted into the movie “Field of Dreams”, but I recommend his short story collections The Thrill of the Grass and The Alligator Report, the latter an homage to one of Bill’s favourite writers, Richard Brautigan.

His death is a significant loss to us in several ways. We lost a friend, and we lost a major Canadian author.

16 Likes

Curtis Hanson, director of LA Confidential & Wonder Boys

4 Likes

Oh, man. That’s so sad. He made some great films.

2 Likes

RIP Bill Nunn AKA Radio Raheem:

8 Likes

Arnold Palmer died today.

7 Likes

RIP Bill Nunn, aka Easy Wind, aka Radio Raheem.

9 Likes

Steve Dillon, ‘Preacher’ Co-Creator, Dies At 54

9 Likes

Hail and farewell Kevin Meaney.

4 Likes

That’s not good: so young, and no details given, which means it’s either drugs or suicide, which is just so sad.

4 Likes

We knew he’d been sick in recent years but, of late had been teetotal.

5 Likes

Now I don’t know what to think: the quote you pulled makes it sound like he was dealing with alcohol and/or drug addiction in the past, which means there’s always the possibility of a relapse, but the photo at your link makes it look like cancer or pancreatitis or something like that.

In any case, still, WAY too young, so whatever killed him was particularly cruel.

5 Likes

Jimmy Perry

7 Likes

Pete Burns!

10 Likes

I just made a thread…

I keep forgetting this thread exists.

6 Likes

And Jack Chick.

As ever, I’m sad he never tried to fix all the hate he brought to the world.

9 Likes