Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

[ETA] I’m sorry, but now TALKING ABOUT systemic misogyny if worth a flag? If there was ANY confusion, I was agreeing with @PsiPhiGrrrl over that as being highly frustrating, as in women aren’t respected for our OWN accomplishments… EVEN IN DEATH our worth is tied to the men in our lives, rather than us being celebrated on our own merits. If that’s worth a flag, then so be it. I’ll take a flag for wanting a better world where women are on equal footing.

12 Likes

https://archive.ph/bnDAm

7 Likes
3 Likes

Ah to be young again when games like that were fun because they were “so edgy”.

I’ve often found her works powerful and moving.

:cry:

15 Likes
11 Likes

More on Faith Ringgold:

RIP :cry:

11 Likes

More local coverage of Wade’s passing…

Includes a link to an interview with Wade on Closer Look…

8 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
16 Likes

Most people who’ve ever picked up a gold-top Les Paul have played one of this man’s riffs. RIP.

8 Likes

This was in my news feed this evening.

And on a side note, what an amazing life Paul Shaffer has lived. He’s sat in with the all the greats.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I had never heard of this politician before, nor of his excellent choice to work as many jobs as possible that his constituency worked:

That’s a story from Workdays, Graham’s campaign book about his stints as a pooper-scooper at a horse auction, an orderly at a nursing home, a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and other humble jobs he worked on his way to the governorship. He won the race in a massive upset and went on to serve two terms as Florida’s governor and three terms as its U.S. senator. He also served more than 400 days working in his constituents’ jobs. After Graham died Tuesday at age 87, President Joe Biden celebrated the workdays in a statement, noting that his former Senate colleague “knew it matters to walk a mile in other folks’ shoes.”

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/20/bob-graham-political-book-00153402

(Bob Graham died Tuesday)

10 Likes

Only famous for a few minutes, but still counts.

3 Likes

So many computers, so many arcade games.

9 Likes

The very first football player I remember watching on TV. (My dad, who grew up in Pasadena, was a Rams fan.)

5 Likes

ETA More info:

8 Likes

If there was no Z80, then there would be no Pac-man. I can’t imagine that world.

If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

― Marcus Brigstocke

12 Likes