Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

14 Likes
9 Likes

Holy cow my kids were there yesterday!

9 Likes

If you’ve used WiFi on Linux, you did so because of the work of this man.

14 Likes

The D/L method was devised by two British statisticians, Frank Duckworth and Tony Lewis, as a result of the outcome of the semi-final in the 1992 World Cup between England and South Africa, where the Most Productive Overs method was used.

When rain stopped play for 12 minutes, South Africa needed 22 runs from 13 balls, but when play resumed, the revised target left South Africa needing 21 runs from one ball, a reduction of only one run compared to a reduction of two overs, and a virtually impossible target given that the maximum score from one ball is generally six runs.[5]

Duckworth said, “I recall hearing Christopher Martin-Jenkins on radio saying ‘surely someone, somewhere could come up with something better’ and I soon realised that it was a mathematical problem that required a mathematical solution.”[6][7]

The D/L method avoids this flaw: in this match, the revised D/L target of 236 would have left South Africa needing four to tie or five to win from the final ball.[8][nb 1]

10 Likes

Seth Binzer from Celebrity Rehab and apparently semi-famous for reworking a Red Hot Chili Peppers song.

2 Likes

More of my childhood.

10 Likes

:sob:

He’s one of those “that guy in that thing” actors… You probably know his face even if you weren’t sure of his name.

[ETA]

:sob:

23 Likes
15 Likes

Oh, Barth!

8 Likes

I had a brief moment of panic when I saw a Tom Waits video on this thread.

Whew.

9 Likes

Awww. He was often great. And,

Trained as a painter, Mull had practiced his art since the 1970s, and his work appeared both in group and solo exhibits. One of his paintings, After Dinner Drinks (2008), which is owned by Steve Martin, was used for the cover of “Love Has Come for You,” an album by Martin and Edie Brickell.

I’ve come across and loved his paintings several times by now. His photo realism always had a surreal edge to it.

mmull-parentsii-2003

14 Likes

Oh I missed that about Kinky Friedman. He’s a legend in Texas.

10 Likes

He had a decent run of mystery books from when he lived in Manhattan.

8 Likes

Oh no!

Does anyone remember this?

7 Likes

I do, but not especially well. Long time ago!

5 Likes

I actually have the book that goes with it… I found it at a local second-hand shop a while back!

6 Likes

Watching Clue right now.

This wouldn’t be out of place as a Negativland album cover. It definitely has a culture jamming kind of aesthetic to it.

6 Likes

With Steven Rambam(!) as technical advisor for the writing and (sort of) recurring supporting character in the series. And interesting tidbits about the history of country music thrown in here and there.

4 Likes
5 Likes