Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

11 Likes

I’ve enjoyed his work when I encountered it out in the wild.

11 Likes
16 Likes

This was one of those things that seems to happen every so often, where I’ll learn about someone’s existence, look them up and then find out they coincidentally had just died literally a day or two before.

This was how I learned of her, very interesting (well, to me) hour long talk show she was on. I was going to make a separate post as I’ve been going down a rabbit hole of Merrill Markoe videos (of which there are a ton, thank goodness) but this is timely with Judy’s passing. I really want to find a copy of Titters 101 now!

13 Likes
14 Likes

One of the reasons I went into the same field. She was an icon.

9 Likes
15 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

Very sad.

9 Likes
15 Likes
8 Likes

McDougall. . . accepted a position at the Hamakua Sugar Plantation, where for three years, he cared for the workers and their families. It was in this job that McDougall discovered a connection between diet and disease, when he noticed that the elderly patients who followed traditional Asian diets were in far better health than their children and grandchildren, who ate more Americanized foods.

“He took care of first-, second-, third-, fourth-generation Japanese, Filipino, Chinese plantation workers. He found that Grandma and Grandpa were totally healthy but grandkids were overweight and had high blood pressure. He saw firsthand: it wasn’t genes, it was the food they were eating that was causing these diseases,” Heather McDougall said.

McDougall entered the University of Hawaii Residency Program. He immersed himself in research, reading scientific journals, discovering that other doctors had come to same conclusion he had: that diet could contribute directly to many common illnesses. He reached out to some of these doctors, who became mentors: Dr. Denis Burkett, Dr. Roy Swank, Dr. Walter Willett, and Nathan Pritikin.

McDougall developed his diet, composed of 90% starchy plant foods and 10% fruits and vegetables. He wrote his first book, The McDougall Plan, with his wife, who contributed recipes.

“Nobody was talking about diet as medicine, or how what you ate affected your health. He wanted the world to know,” Heather McDougall said. The book became a bestseller and Dr. McDougall would go on to write 12 more over the course of his career, often with his wife as a co-author…

“He was proud of what he created, opening people’s eyes to the power of food as medicine. When he first started doing it, hardly anybody was out there talking about the importance of plants and eating fewer animal products. He was one of the pioneers. There are so many people that are standing on the shoulders of my father,” Heather McDougall said.

12 Likes
17 Likes

RIP
:sob:

15 Likes
5 Likes

Sherpa, the world famous talking Huskamute on youtube, had to be put down at 13.
https://www.reddit.com/r/husky/comments/1e5vg07/beloved_youtube_husky_sherpa_has_passed_please/
tophat-cry

8 Likes

This one is gonna hurt. :sob:

29 Likes

It does.

12 Likes

Maybe it’s a dream? :sob:

14 Likes