Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I was busy last night and didn’t have a chance to come here and post but my wife told me the news and I was like fuuuuu. RIP to the Clown Prince of Hip-Hop. He was a legend and innovator. He may have been known for his comedy raps, but he was a serious artist.

3 Likes

To be fair, there has been a great deal of work on Black women in the movement… it just doesn’t get as much attention in public. Barbara Ransby wrote on Ella Baker, probably one of the most important women in the classical civil rights movement:

Danielle McGuire’s book rewrites the bus boycott based on the people who planned it and carried it out, meaning women:

Oh, and I love this book by Tera Hunter…

But yeah, the public doesn’t have this perception of the movement, because public history till tends towards “great man” history rather than either great woman or collective histories like these.

11 Likes

A few comments above yours…

1 Like

My post was moved here and grouped with others.

5 Likes

I see that now; mea culpa.

6 Likes

It’s still a great quote.

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

those sound very interesting. i’ll probably suggest a couple of those to my family as potential christmas presents for me.

2 Likes

They are all excellent books and as they’re academic books, they’ll be full of other books you can look into, too!

1 Like
10 Likes

He’s up there now. With Dean, Sam, and for some reason that fucking car.

6 Likes
13 Likes

“The First Three Minutes” was required reading in my astrophysics class in college:

12 Likes

I somehow missed the death of this arsehole a few months ago

He wanted to be seen as a lovable rogue, but lovable rogues do not knock on your door at 2:30 in the morning because you said something they disagree with. Trumpian wannabe is probably closer to reality.

11 Likes
18 Likes
11 Likes

Orlando Drummond, 101 years old, Brazilian Voice actor. He was the voice of Scooby Doo, Popeye, Emperor Palpatine, Battle Cat/Cringer and many other characters that were part of the childhood of every Brazilian X Generation kid.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Only 46… fuck.

4 Likes