Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

10 Likes

Aw jeez, this was almost 3 years ago (and UMD is just down the road from us) but I’m just now finding out. I had the good fortune to attend a saxophone clinic that he led, shortly after I moved to this area.

You’d probably heard him on this, solo at 4:18:

6 Likes
3 Likes

David Lacey, the Guardian football correspondent whose impeccable judgment and unerring ability to turn match reports into an art form made him a titan of the press box, has died at the age of 83.

2 Likes
13 Likes
3 Likes
13 Likes

RIP, Mr. Rosenberg!

8 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

It could be said of a lot of Mr. Frishberg’s work, but this seems timely:

(As heard on today’s Le Show)

2 Likes

Been watching the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, it’s always sad when they do the montage of all the people in the music world that passed in the last year.

One of the better performances (after Carol King) was Brandi Carlile doing an Everly Brothers song in tribute to the last brother that died this year.

1 Like
11 Likes
10 Likes

Slide Hampton, the distinguished jazz trombonist, composer and arranger, passed away Nov. 18. He was 89.

11 Likes

And I missed this last year. Today I read a reference to “the late Stanley Cowell” and thought, “Huh?!”

5 Likes
13 Likes

I know this is more of a current event topic but

Today is our 37th anniversary which makes it hard to forget it also 30 years today since Freddie left us.

This song seems appropriate and the intro is great. “We’re going to stay together until we fucking well die”.

5 Likes

Army officer who wrote to McCain about detainee torture in Iraq, Afghanistan, dies at 42

6 Likes