Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

6 Likes

I subscribe to a weekly email from Jonny Trunk who runs Trunk Records (seriously, check it out). Iā€™ve been thinking of starting a BBS thread simply to post selections from his weekly email in which he almost invariably includes some quirky video finds - there have been some real gems.

The email is sent out every Friday and here is the text of this weekā€™s. For all Vangelis fans and mourners. 7 video links in all:

Morning, hope all is well. All fine here.

But Vangelis is dead. I am gutted. What A GOD.

Watch this. And this. And maybe this too. And maybe this. And if you have time, this which is really groovy. And one of my faves (note the dancing policeman in the audience). And this of course. Iā€™ll stop now.

See you next week. Thanks for listening. Long live Vangelis.

J

(And if you do go to Trunk Records, I recommend the 50p Space selection. Especially Galactic Nightmare.)

2 Likes
6 Likes

You absolutely can start your own thread. Instead of limiting it to only the latest from the same weekly offering ā€“ at some point, other posters will either go straight to the source or ignore the thread ā€“ you could generalize it to something like ā€˜online discussions and compilations of musicā€™.

2 Likes

I can indeed, but itā€™s one of those things I say Iā€™ll do when I get around to it. You may have provided the round tuit I needed, :wink:

(And the videos are much more often than not, not about music. All sorts of weird and wonderful things.)

ETA though if I do start the thread the risk is it might stall as we are not allowed to post three responses in a row, so unless someone responds, Iā€™ll be unable to add more linksā€¦

FETA I did it. Here

3 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

Sad news, the great Dervla Murphy. She began her travfel career relatively late and kept it up very late! Seriously inspirational.

Cathal Coughlan

Apparently heā€™d been sick and died on the 18th. Sorry to hear it. Got to hear Fatima Mansions a few times live when I was a youngster. They were pretty heavy live. Cathal was one of those musicians that was victimised by someone claiming they owned rights to everything he did.

11 Likes

Oh noā€¦ not Cathal!

4 Likes

(ETA Oops - @tcg550 already noted it.)

4 Likes

Damn

16 Likes

One of his great performances was a in ER. He looked appropriately terrible as a dying man with many regrets. The opening uses Out of Time by The Rolling Stones, which was a great choice. (I believe Liotta won an Emmy for it.)

He will be missed.

9 Likes

Prog rock fansā€¦

18 Likes

Also more sad music news :sob:

20 Likes

Was just coming to post thatā€¦

music video love GIF

Still my fave DM videoā€¦

RIP, Fletch!

13 Likes

Babies!

8 Likes

They wereā€¦ whenever I see videos from their first few albums, Iā€™m always shocked by how young they all wereā€¦

10 Likes

And @chgoliz, I never got the chance to see them in concert, but my husband saw them twice in the 80s. He and his running buddies once drove home from SF (Bay to Breakers run) just to see them. He said there was maybe just 100 +/- other people at the venue. Iā€™m still envious.

9 Likes

Well, if I ever get a time machine that I will only use for going to see old shows, Iā€™ll swing by and pick you up for that one! :laughing:

10 Likes

Itā€™s a date! :wink:

9 Likes