Dead Raisers, a traveling band of evangelical resurrectors

I dont have a clever gif or an amusing joke.

But I do have a real story about bringing a dead person back to life.

If you count using cardiopulmonary resuscitation…

One day, working in SF Tenderloin, we were sent to a cramped apartment, and older Filipino gentleman had upon arrival neither pulse nor breath: we proceeded to perform chest compressions and rescue breaths while the medics pumped IV drugs…we actually got a viable pulse!

But I thought that it was strange, almost offensive, that his wife stepped over his body as we were working to save his life…to silently log on to her computer. She didn’t come with the ambulance.

Later that same day: another CPR situation. Another older Filipino man. Their small apartment was lovingly kept and clean and orderly: I recall the many framed couple pictures over the mantlepiece.

We performed CPR as his wife cried and wailed and begged us to save him. We failed.

I’ve seen worse, I’ve dealt with worse: but that day made me sad…I still wish I could have reversed the outcomes…but obviously: one (even many) person(s) can only do so much.

In my 13 years of EMT-ing and firefighting it has been my experience that dead people, for the most part…stay dead. Especially really-dead people. But perhaps other health care professionals have had different outcomes.

6 Likes