Dead woman not dead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/dead-woman-not-dead.html

7 Likes

What the hell kind of medicine are those fire crews using that can make dead people breathe and move?

44 Likes

“I’m feeling better.”

44 Likes

tenor

20 Likes

You beat me too it :smiley: My take was going to be “Return of the Living Dead”. Yours is more apposite.

11 Likes

Dead woman not dead
Dead woman not DEAAAAAAD!

O h d e a d w o m a n
Dead woman not DEAAAAAD!

6 Likes

Who had zombies on their list?

cabin-in-the-woods-2011-richard-jenkins-betting-board

26 Likes

That’s some real victorian nightmare fuel shit. I feel this lady nearly needed one of these coffins:

As an aside - AT BEST, you would only need one of these devices for two weeks once buried. Probably more like 30min.

21 Likes

Jesus Christ. So wait, the medical examiner called the “fire crews” back - and the fire crews were the ones declaring her dead? There’s a whole lot wrong with this, here.

20 Likes

Seems to happen a lot from a bureaucratic perspective:

Though I imagine folks seeing you dead but then you aren’t is much less common. :wink:

The red tape can get pretty long, though:

19 Likes

I believe that was the original reason for the custom of holding a wake. (That and getting thoroughly drunk.)

13 Likes

I think they did a subplot about that in Grace and Frankie…

6 Likes

From the article:

Because there was no indication of foul play, as per standard operating procedure, the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office was contacted and given the medical data. The patient was again determined to have expired and the body was released directly to the family to make arrangements with a funeral home of their choosing.

Sad to hear that she didn’t make it, I wonder if something could’ve been done if she would’ve been transported directly to a hospital…

2 Likes

Probably more common than we’d like to think. Besides things like Lazarus syndrome, which is pretty rare, having non-medical professionals with limited equipment being the ones to declare some dead is going to leave a lot of room for misdiagnosis.

5 Likes

Might one say the medication had a galvanic effect on her?

8 Likes

“Dead-ish…”

Script link, for the visually or hearing impaired:
http://www.wepsite.de/Fatal%20Beatings(sketch).htm

9 Likes

She wasn’t dead; she was pining. Pining for the fnords.

12 Likes

• twenty years old
• cardiac arrest
• appears dead
so, what kind of drugs was she doing?

Paging Rob Zombie

1 Like

The kind that make you breathe and move when you’re dead, according to the fire department.

Also, let’s not victim-blame here. We have no idea what kinds of health issues this young woman might have.

26 Likes