Dear Guy Who Just Made My Burrito

La Cumbre in the Mission district is one of the places you’re thinking of.

2 Likes

Wow, two somebodies are having a bad day.

Cut the burrito mis-maker some slack. We’re all occasional fups.

Find some gentleness for whatever is fueling your rage/despair/pain.

My wife and kids love Chipotle, to my undying befuddlement. Last time she asked if I wanted something from there, I asked for a bean & cheese burrito. What I received was about three parts rice to one part cilantro to about a half-part each of beans and cheese.

It was like eating a shipping container for a particularly fragile fountain pen with beans for ink.

6 Likes

There are multiple kinds of burritos. The one described in this story is a Mission burrito which originated in San Francisco in the 60s as a take on the classic meat bean and cheese burrito supersized and wrapped in foil. Avocado, guacamole, rice, sour cream, etc. are Mission burrito fillings.

There are also the more recent San Diego style burritos which are austere by comparison. And the bastardized California burrito which has french fries in it.

The original rather tiny burritos were thought to originate in either Northen Mexico, California or Sonora.

1 Like

I’m not sure why is this much worse than the way any of the chain places make them. I hate getting a bite that is 75% one item just because they can’t mix stuff up a little. I’d like to see a Stone Cold creamery style setup where all you fillings where mixed and then put in the burrito.

1 Like

I go there often. SF still has Portland beat.

You can’t be serious. LA is the taco town, SF is the burrito town. This is known.

3 Likes

SoCal burritos go to sleep every night hoping they grow up to be half as delicious as a San Francisco Mission burrito.

7 Likes

You’re funny. I wonder if your shoeleather tastebuds impair your speech? ;^)

Nah, I ain’t gonna get in a Municipal Pissing Match over this. I’ve had excellent (and less so) burritos at both ends of the state. In my opinion, SF food at its best isn’t quite worth the parking hassle.

1 Like

Bay area burritos have rice in them, and attempt to be healthy. Not the best. Alberto’s/Roberto’s and all of the permutations are the place for the best burritos. No rice or lettuce in those guys (though some places started stuffing them with french fries (a complete abomination)).

Said the man who never had a carne asada burrito. Enjoy your rice.

1 Like

What my old buddies in San Diego always generically referred to as “The To Brothers.”

This problem is solved by eating actual Mexican food instead of burritos.

2 Likes

L.A. native living in S.F. here, and I gotta disagree: Angelinos have better tacos, but San Franciscans have better burritos.

I’ve had carne asada burritos in San Diego and in San Francisco. I’m actually a little confused as to why it is such a big deal. Mission Burritos have had carne asada as an option 20 years before San Diego style burritos were first created.

Really, a San Diego style burrito is just a Mission burrito made by someone who visited a San Francisco taqueria 30 years ago and forgot to write down all the ingredients.

It isn’t even a style thing. San Francisco burritos are better because San Francisco taquerias make better burritos. I can walk into any taqueria in San Francisco and order a burrito and have them hold the ingredients Angelos find so disturbing and still end up with a burrito 10x as good as anything you’ll find in SoCal.

5 Likes

or just shake it…

3 Likes

Where in the world do you find “San Diego style” burritos as you describe them? Because I’ve never seen one described as such in San Diego. I grew up there (in a canyon walled by avocado orchards, in fact), and though I’ve seen and eaten more varieties of burrito there than I can count on all our combined digits, I cannot see how you can defend your claim that putting avocado (or guacamole) in a burrito is a San Francisco-originated sophistication. Rice, sure. San Diego burritos don’t do that. But avocado? That’s been going in and around burritos down there all my freaking life. (Donald Petersen–est. 1969) Even today, sez the California Avocado Commission, “About 59,000 acres (240 km2) – some 95% of United States avocado production – is located in Southern California, with 60% in San Diego County.”

1 Like

Your history of San Diego burritos is inaccurate. I personally recall eating them back in the early70’s, and they were by no means a recent invention back then. At a proper establishment, they are the size of your forearm, they do not rely on cheap fillers to attain that size, and Carne asada is the burrito, not an ingredient. I can understand where someone would not be impressed by having a rice burrito with carne asada added to it. Not at all appetizing.

If you want to enjoy your steamed, soggy, rice stuffed tortilla wrapped in foil (to keep it extra soggy), go right ahead. I understand they are very popular up there in central California, and New York city.

We call them Berto’s.

Geez, fuckin’ purists, eh?
Just enjoy the bounteous variety and relax.

2 Likes