Redditor reverse engineers Chipotle's chicken recipe

Originally published at: Redditor reverse engineers Chipotle's chicken recipe | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Wait, did I read that right? You put the hot, cooked chicken straight back in the bowl full of marinade and raw chicken juice?
I am of the opinion that when people are overly obsessive about raw chicken dangers that, ‘its chicken, not plutonium’, but: Fuck, no.
(ETA: no. I did not read it right. Thank fuck for that)

3 Likes

Back engineered restaurant recipes, even when done well, are sort of like college physics calculations. You need to make big assumptions like, ‘in a vacuum’ or ‘under ideal conditions’ for them to work.

Based on the numerous Chipotle meals I’ve had over the years, the employees don’t often remember to season with salt, they overcook the meat, and they most certainly are not letting chicken marinade for 24 (or even 2) hours. I’d imagine this recipe would taste significantly better than what you get at Chipotle on any given day.

2 Likes

Does it come with food poisoning as well?

2 Likes

(see above :grinning:)

2 Likes

If it doesn’t wreck your insides then is someone really getting the full experience?

3 Likes

That’s the thing. I don’t get why people get so obsessed with chipotle or want to cook it at home.

It’s not good.

You can make better chicken at home, typically even with a bottle sauce or spice mix.

1 Like

That’s not really the point, though, right? I’m firmly against “Yucking others Yum”, which we see a LOT of in the wild - not just around food, but around fandoms, comics, games, etc. etc.

We’re lucky enough to have a community that loves all sorts of things - whether that’s fast-food, slow food, or variations from around the globe - whatever it is, there’s room for everyone.

“If you like Chipotle, I think you might like as well, because I think it’s better quality” IS useful because you’re trying to expand the interests of others while acknowledging what they enjoy today. But I don’t think comments that essentially question people’s tastes/interests/whatever really contribute to the conversation except possibly alienate folks.

8 Likes

Now do the meatless chorizos!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.