Death by firing squad could soon be possible in South Carolina

Originally published at: Death by firing squad could soon be possible in South Carolina | Boing Boing

Re-fucking-Boing:

18 Likes

Cowards will always chose to return to the past rather than deal with the reality of the present.

2 Likes

With exactly the same illustration even. Did someone think “Yes, let’s publish this and use the same illustration as we did for the first post on this story instead of, you know, simply not publishing this”?

3 Likes

And you can’t even “@BB Contributor” (the alleged author named at the top of this thread) because they do not exist and Kevin Reome who did write it has no @

Contributors who don’t even bother to keep track of other articles on BB aren’t really doing their job properly, if you ask me. And BB really ought to provide a feedback channel to all contributors by make sure they have an @ handle here.

4 Likes

While that’s true, how hard would it be to check automatically whether a URL submitted in one post had appeared in other posts? This is not a rhetorical question. Obviously the same news story might get BBd using different links, so this check wouldn’t be a silver bullet, but I imagine it would cut reBoinging down by a large factor.

7 Likes

Good question for the General Moderation thread.

2 Likes

While utterly abhorrent, I would pick this over the electric chair every time (well, the one time…)

4 Likes

Don’t make me laugh on the capital punishment thread!

2 Likes

Actually, I am pretty sure that happens automagically on the BBS. We get warnings on the right side if we have been hogging the conversation, etc., ( not that I ever got that sort of warning :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ) and I think one of those is posting a link that someone else posted earlier.

4 Likes

For me it will always be death by chocolate.

2 Likes

That was my first thought, too (and like you, I don’t know how I know that…), but I think @allenk is talking about posting on the actual boingboing.net site, not the bbs, and I don’t think it works the same way.
Seems like it should be possible, though.

1 Like

A guy on death row is hopeful because he’s getting a visit from his lawyer.
The lawyer proudly tells him, “Well, I couldn’t get you released, but I DID get your voltage reduced.”

I’m completely opposed to capital punishment, but I do think firing squad is more humane than lethal injection or electric chair.

We have a weird standard for our ideal form of capital punishment. It would be easy to painlessly execute people in a nitrogen chamber or with an opiate overdose, but it seems like we don’t want it to be too easy. We could also kill instantly with a penetrating bolt gun ala No Country for Old Men, but we don’t want it to be too messy, either. I guess it’s useless to look for logical consistency in something so wrapped up in big emotions.

4 Likes

This is the part of things I have never understood. There must be some reason, some weird legality, that they don’t make use of these obvious means, but nobody talks about it that I’ve seen. (To be very clear: I am against the death penalty, regardless of means of execution.)

1 Like

Maybe this time we can discuss the matter without setting ethics aside and debating the relative merits of crucifixion versus Zyklon B.
Oh, wait, too late. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Trivially easy. In fact, the BBS itself automatocally checks if your post’s title and content are generally similar to previously existing topics.

That’d take no effort at all to implement on the wordpress side of the blog.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.