Debris of missing F-35 jet found

Originally published at: Debris of missing F-35 jet found | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Politicians ask good questions sometimes, though I’m not sure “why don’t we put a tracking beacon on the stealth fighter?” stands among them.

A friend worked at Vancouver International Airport around 1990, and got to watch the radar screens as a stealth bomber flew up for the airshow. They could see it on radar, because its transponder was switched on. Unlike every other aircraft on the screen, there was no dot next to the transponder, just the transponder info.

So I’m surprised there wasn’t more radar data indicating where it was in the air before it crashed, which probably means I don’t have enough info for it to make sense, yet.

14 Likes

It should have had it’s ADS-B transponder enabled.

ETA: the ADS-B mandate has not been levied on JSF yet. Just for funsies, here’s a snapshot of military aircraft in the air with ADS-B transponders visible currently.

14 Likes

Is that two hours by car, or by F-35?

17 Likes

Or by foot, or by bicycle, or by train, or by high speed train?
Hegemony is a hell of a drug!

9 Likes

So close to being Dr Seuss…

11 Likes

Do you want a gritty reboot of Jimbo and the Jet Set?

7 Likes

It’s an hour and a half by car.

3 Likes

I thought maybe Pepsi had finally made good on their promise of a fighter jet.

12 Likes

Have we had the (inevitably) dumb contribution from (yes it’s her again) Lauren Boebert?

You’d have thought recent events would have taught her to keep her mouth shut about things going down…

5 Likes

I’m just sad she’s listed as a “Relevant Person” on the TwitX.

2 Likes

That’s not Lauren Boebert’s real Xitter account, it’s a parody. You can tell by how over-the-top preposterously stupid the tweet and bio are, they’re clearly written by some ham-fisted satirist with no sense of subtlety.

What do you mean, “no”?

8 Likes

AirTags are like 30 bucks, bro.

5 Likes

The scary part is that her tweet recieved 45.5K likes.

Now, imagine if these know-nothings were actually in charge of America’s military. Yikes.

ETA: At least we can be confident that a good chunk of those likes are bots.

5 Likes

That looks like a show not to my taste, but that was some great animation, especially the low flyovers. Thanks for sharing!

(Edit: to not be a d!ck about the things I don’t like)

1 Like

Sound like Congress vs encryption: “Why don’t we broadcast a signal we can track from our $80M air plane that we deliberately designed to be un-trackable?”

I bet they don’t even remember the things they said when Iraq shot down a stealth bomber and paraded its parts for TV. When a high-tech weapon fails, the best outcome may be for it to be found and recovered instantly, but the second best outcome is for its remains to vanish from the face of the earth.

3 Likes

“about two hours northeast of Joint Base Charleston”

was that two hours on foot? on horseback? in a rusted out pickup truck? by supersonic jet aircraft? this is unclear.

3 Likes

You have to use the standard measurement. The trip is taken in a jalopy that gets a gross of furlongs to the hogshead.

7 Likes

Really only 5 mins in an Uber with Lindsey Graham but feelz like two hours.

7 Likes

i have so many questions about this “mishap”, but the one thing the military does well is lie through their teeth, so it’s a good bet my curiosity will never be satisfied.

2 Likes