F-35 jet "missing" after pilot ejects

Originally published at: F-35 jet missing after pilot ejects | Boing Boing

7 Likes

A different branch of the Armed Forces, but you get my drift…

11 Likes

“most lethal, stealthy and survivable aircraft.”

Ulp

7 Likes

Some sort of a Chinese version of the movie Firefox?

14 Likes

Wonder if pilot ejection is now under electronics control? (y’know evil software external override Bond villain possibilities) That would be nuts, just like the emergency brake on my car, but there it is.

7 Likes

Reminds me of the time I went into our local general store to buy some camo gear, but couldn’t find it. It was that good.

22 Likes

Are you suggesting that Mazda had a hand in this?? /h

5 Likes

This is a real stealth fifghter!

6 Likes

How far do they think the jet may have traveled after the pilot ejected? Should I reach out to my parents, who have retired to North Carolina, warning them to be on the lookout for a jet that may “land” in their backyard?

And yes, I know the NBC News article says the pilot ejected over South Carolina. If the jet traveled a hundred or two hundred miles due north after the ejection, it could have reached NC.

8 Likes

35 Likes

Someone call Pixar immediately.

7 Likes

Here’s a number people can call:

Maybe an Amber alert guys?

9 Likes

Well, soon something like that happens and afterwards someone tells us this was a jet controlled by an advanced military machine learning model…

Well, hey, it can’t land on it’s own, can it?

Can it?

8 Likes

By now it’s in The Muskrat’s secret lair. (Unless Lockheed Martin bought Tesla’s Autopilot software, in which case :person_shrugging:)

6 Likes

I anticipate a part two for this story in which someone in Appalachia attempts to argue that no, in fact that f-35 in their barn was grandpappy’s project plane.

17 Likes

They should at least get a reward for finding it. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Can the F-35 do this?

12 Likes

Overdue for a remake anyway.

8 Likes

“A missing jet, you say? Can’t say I’ve seen it.”

18 Likes

It wouldn’t shock me in the least of we’ve reached that stage, but I would assume it would need a runway or flight deck equipped with appropriate transponders to keep it positioned properly. What I find surprising is that they apparently can’t even communicate with the thing. I would assume there’s got to be something transmitting location, speed, vector, etc.

6 Likes