F-35 jet "missing" after pilot ejects

i’d have assumed that too, but maybe in stealth mode it does not: otherwise, adversaries would sniff for those signals to find the plane

( eta: oh look. it’s my cake day. :cake: sweet! )

13 Likes

I wonder if pilot did something to piss off the AI… :thinking:

Stealth on… full tank of gas… eject pilot…

10 Likes

Jeezus. . .

So then even commercial airports wouldn’t see it on radar as it approaches?

Still, it could be worse:

11 Likes

The only thing to do is to wait until it starts its own Twitter/Instagram account, and then start tracking it based on the selfies.

17 Likes

And decennial! Congrats.

Tina Fey Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes

This seems like one of those interesting catch-22 problems. Build an aircraft that has a stealth mode so no one can figure out it’s flying around. What happens when it gets shot down, or crashes? Can you find it if it’s intentionally not supposed to be easily detectable? Has this scenario actually happened in the wild yet with this plane? What did we do with the F-117 etc? Well it’s happening right now for sure.

It’s interesting to think the aircraft could still be flying if it was on autopilot and had fuel - if so, what happened that made the pilot eject? Is it the hypoxia thing that’s plagued the F-35 platform?

3 Likes

No love for the Ace call out? I mean, what a guy!

Not only that, but in a crash in stealth mode, or maybe even on pilot ejection, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the aircraft was capable of scuttling its own electronics and other particularly sensitive systems.

5 Likes

Idk, it’s not Kenny Loggins without a laser light show.

3 Likes

… what a bargain

6 Likes

Not THE biggest boondoggle but close. Oxymoronic language like fresh frozen, military intelligence…

3 Likes

Snared by a Chinese “weather” balloon with a big net? Or…

im not saying ancient aliens GIF by Giffffr

2 Likes

10 Likes

Beat me to it…

s-l500

5 Likes

We’ve secretly replaced their flight suits with Y-17 trauma override harnesses; let’s see if they notice!

3 Likes

Found it!

14 Likes

I await the instructable on how to turn a F-35 into a stealth camper.

17 Likes

Whatever was wrong couldn’t have been that bad if the autopilot was still engaged.
Don’t worry, Otto’s got this.
pilot airplane GIF

9 Likes

$80 million. Wow.

I lost my car keys and can’t find them. This almost makes replacement Subaru key-fobs seem affordable.

10 Likes

Hey Lockheed, Apple AirTags! Think about it.

4 Likes