Defiant Song Thread

Glass has done film scores, and is one of the more widely copied minimalist composers. There’s a good chance one of the themes wound up in one, but to my knowledge this composition hasn’t.

2 Likes

If you stuck with it I’m sure you could have landed a nice job with the CIA.

3 Likes

this is an album i find relaxing to listen to, and i’ve listened to it all the way through at least 10 or 11 times. i play portions of it for my 6th grade classes every year. in the 8 years or so since i first ran across it, i’ve found a total of 4 6th graders who were able to both appreciate it and convincingly explain what about it they liked.

1 Like

While the video image immediately hurts my eyes and makes them water, the music itself is somewhat interesting.

It almost sounds like… Maybe if you had some kind of really wide-band directional antenna, and heterodyned its output so that it’d be in the range of audio frequencies, and pointed it at various sources, this is what it’d sound like. Maybe…

Can’t say that I like it, but I’d be interested in learning how it’s produced.

it’s more musical than that to me. earlier this year i was having an mri done of my shoulder and there was a sound that it made when it was changing angles of scan that sounded like parts of the section of this called “worms plastic earthbound.” there are several merzbow albums i like to listen to on youtube, this happens to be my favorite.

2 Likes

I’d expect if I listened to this for more than ten minutes I might hear some musicality in it. If it didn’t aggravate my tinnitus as badly as it does.

I have no idea how you find it relaxing, but as I said it’s definitely interesting.

Maybe I’m just not setup for this or something. In anycase, I do enjoy “motor music”, there’s a lot you can find on youtube where they have things like floppy drives or stepper motors and car door lock servos play musical parts. The video you posted isn’t that.

But hey, you like it, and it doesn’t hurt anyone, I can’t complain. It’s a very unusual sound that’s for sure.

I’ll mull it over tomorrow and see if I can get anything out of it.

And hey, a lot of natural radio sources have a musicality to them. Have you ever listened to Sferics? They’re the ELF radio signals from lightning strikes stretched out by the ionosphere and magnetosphere. They’re quite captivating to me, and I really like tuning into ELF stations that pick them up.

Same with the dawn chorus. The earth has an electrical field variation that runs along the day-night terminator and it actually sounds like a chorus of birds in VLF and other radio frequencies. It’s beautiful.

Whistlers and Sferics:

Dawn Chorus:

The problem is, a lot of the loud foreground noise is cosmic rays, and local particle radiation smacking into the antenna directly, which makes it really hard to hear the great signals in the upper atmosphere.

3 Likes

this is really, really fucking good.

thank you. sincerely.

1 Like

A truly awful song that I enjoy…
…usually by my self by the time it is done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 525 days. New replies are no longer allowed.