Defying all logic, anti-vaxxers hold a convention

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/01/defying-all-logic-anti-vaxxers-hold-a-convention.html

11 Likes

That sounds like a very unconventional convention.

13 Likes

in the good old days the grass was greener and the Earth was flatter

24 Likes

But the entrepreneurs gathered in Vegas

omfg, just also the possible biggest and worst place to hold any kind of convention in the US if you’re not vaccinated.

Just wow.

9 Likes

Anti-vaxxers are working to pull together a system of services that will take their business, as they are increasingly finding that they are being shut out of systems and places that respect others.

Unfortunate, in a way, that there is insufficient land to send these fine gentlefolk to establish a (likely dooomed) alternative society for themselves. And/or golgafrinchan spaceship. Always the initial (haphazard) feeling of "OK then, why don’t you take your antisocial notions and go waaay over there?
-sigh-

17 Likes

"They believe that the governments are against them, intellectuals are against them, that science is moving in the opposite direction, that science education is moving in the opposite direction. "

And me!!

22 Likes

If you reject vaccines then it seems you are rejecting medical science all together. But where do these folks go for help when they get sick?

5 Likes

They just take colloidal silver and essential oils.

23 Likes

Holy do they ever. I have people in my social circle that have gone full wacky with this stuff. It was always a hazard, but the last 4 years have really brought out the fear and paranoia.

As with any wacky notion, there is always a kernel of truth. There are plenty of well documented reasons to distrust the various institutions, which have been so horridly corrupted by entities like Pharma companies. But the solution isn’t to make up wild nonsense, it’s to emplace and empower meaningful oversight that has a public health mandate.

Nope, instead it’s turning their children blue and oil of oregano for back pain. Sigh.

23 Likes

What venue in their right mind would voluntarily host an antivaxxer convention? In addition to the disease risk, they are shunned and disliked by most people, because they deserve to be. That stigma is going to be shared by anyone enabling these human plague rats.

19 Likes

This seems like a problem that will ultimately solve itself.

4 Likes

Maybe they could call the ship they sail to this new land, “Mayflower”…

2 Likes

I’ve been catching up on the podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie after not having listened to it for years, and where i’m at is them discussing antivax homeopathic nonsense they’ve investigated and the various claims are so utterly devoid of logic that it’s honestly hard to listen to. Still making my way through it but it’s upsetting listening to the dumb stuff people peddle that is making other folks’ health worse.

10 Likes

Hopefully what they spread and catch stays in Vegas.

6 Likes

Measles, Covid and Influenza had a very good week.

5 Likes

Can’t spell “conspiracism” without “racism.”

11 Likes

Unfortunately, with a lot of collateral damage.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Vegas literally does not give a single fornication.

If people can throw their mortgages into poker hands and bet their life’s savings on puns in horses’ names, this is just another gamble for Vegas to make money from. The only risk to Vegas’ bottom-line is if their employees get sick. And there are always more employees.

8 Likes

I hope the staff had hazmat suits.

5 Likes