Democracy and Terrorism in the Middle East

The way I think about it, “the West” has been inflicting its own brand of terror upon the Muslim world for centuries – if not millennia. This creates fertile breeding ground for megalomaniacs to brainwash impressionable people into doing their bidding and killing others.

“‘The West’ bombed your home and killed your family and friends. You can make things right by killing them and their family and friends. You may think your life has no meaning, but God has a plan for you and by following this plan your life will have meaning and you can be regarded as a hero!”.

This can be a very attractive proposition to someone who needs an outlet to direct their anger and frustrations. ISIS knows this and they are quite savvy and sophisticated in their recruiting. I remember reading a year or so back about how they even publish a professionally produced glossy English language magazine.

ETA Here it is:

I only see this getting worse and not better and everybody needlessly suffers as a consequence.

It definitely seems to be more acceptable to outwardly blame Islamic terrorism, but there’s plenty of dehumanization and pushing of stereotypes in the media when it comes to crimes committed by minorities. Whether it’s overt or unconscious, it’s definitely there.

One can only wish. I certainly don’t see this happening any time soon.

9 Likes