Democracy and Terrorism in the Middle East

Fair enough, though one can be hispanic and white, yeah?[quote=“Mister44, post:109, topic:101402”]
And while he had mental health issues, the PCP in his weed didn’t help.
[/quote]

Of course, drugs are often used to deal with undiagnosised or under treated mental illnesses. [quote=“Mister44, post:109, topic:101402”]
One would think the media would have latched onto that, but I dunno.
[/quote]

They often do, true, but not this time, apparently. [quote=“Mister44, post:109, topic:101402”]
I don’t know if the Media is complicit to spin a narrative, or if they just go with what will cause the most outrage and eyeballs.
[/quote]

Whether it’s purposefully or not, it still is a major contribution to the problem.

You could also look at what else was going on nationally at the time that made it less of a national story. [quote=“Mister44, post:109, topic:101402”]
The cynic in me connects the dots that the media doesn’t want to focus too much on minorities when violence happens to avoid demonizing them and perpetuating stereotypes
[/quote]

Do you watch the local, nightly news? Especially near major metropolitan areas, they are often filled with stories of poc committing crimes, and often poor people, too. It’s better than is used to be, granted, but it’s still an issue.[quote=“Mister44, post:109, topic:101402”]
I just wish we could live in a world where we can condemn certain people when bad things happen, and even certain groups in some situations, but not let it bleed into placing the blame on larger groups, whole religions, or countries or cultures.
[/quote]

Sure. But we don’t. We live in this world, where we have people flattening and simplifying stories that are often more complicated. All we can do ourselves is to be vigilant of that and to vote with our viewership. Tune into news outlets that don’t trade in that kind of simplification and that gives you as much background as possible on the news.

I don’t know about millennia. Well into the 19th century, the Ottoman Empire was still a powerful force in regional politics, in some ways right up to the first world war. Much of this really stems from interwar era. Lenin releasing the documents in 1919 about how the West was going to carve out spheres of influence in the middle east pissed people off. But then again, powers in the region kept aligning with the British, French, or later the US to further their own interests. [quote=“wait_really, post:111, topic:101402”]
Observers count the civilian deaths in the ME and Afghanistan to be likely beyond a million since '03.
[/quote]

And that’s not even full casualties or those displaced (and children bearing much of the brunt of all of this, with their entire lives uprooted, if not ended). And I suspect it doesn’t include places like Yemen or Somalia or Pakistan, where drone campaigns continue and where (in the case of Yemen) we just spent over 100 billion to ensure that the Saudis can continue their path of destruction.

And what are those solutions? Because no one seems to be willing to say that maybe we need to stop destroying other countries and killing people there is a major part of it. Our policies are giving people who want to carve out a space of power for themselves the perfect recruiting tool. The only solution the leaders in the west are putting on the table is ever more endless war, which is making them richer, but killing people, fueling an angry, terroristic response, which results in more deaths here. These are not people reacting to nothing. Until we can understand and push for political changes, this cycle will continue until we’re all living in an authoritarian police state, where we’re all seen as targets and more people are drawn into acts of terrorism to try and make change.

6 Likes