Democrat Tulsi Gabbard wins coveted David Duke endorsement

Tulsi Gabbard Has been rehabilitatiing her political image for some time, but her early views are cause for some concern. The New Yorker did a good piece on her in 2017:

From the article with apologies for the long quote, emphasis mine:

In her first political incarnation, Gabbard balanced liberal environmentalism with a pronounced conservative streak. In 2003, she voted against a bill to oblige hospitals to “provide emergency contraception immediately” to survivors of sexual assault, because it did not contain a “conscience clause,” to allow providers with a religious objection to opt out. She supported government surveillance efforts, warning that the “demand for unfettered civil liberties” could make the nation vulnerable to terrorists. And she joined her father’s battle against what she called “homosexual extremists.” In 1998, Mike Gabbard had successfully pushed for an amendment to the Hawaii State Constitution, to permit the legislature to ban same-sex marriage, which it did. Six years later, Tulsi Gabbard led a protest against a bill that would have legalized civil unions for same-sex couples. That same year, in the Hawaii State House, she delivered a long, fierce speech against a proposed resolution meant to target anti-gay bullying in public schools. She objected to the idea of students being taught that homosexuality is “normal and natural,” and worried that passing the resolution would have the effect of “inviting homosexual-advocacy organizations into our schools to promote their agenda to our vulnerable youth.”

She has “evolved” since then and has apologized for her earlier views, but her support for LGBTQ causes still seems pretty tepid.

25 Likes

Are you seriously calling me a Russian troll? Oh, yeah, the one thing Russian trolls love talking about is… how to write headlines that don’t sound biased? Russian trolls love spreading disinformation about… journalism methods.

Buddy, I bought a boingboing tshirt in 2008. I’ve been reading since before then. I stopped reading for a while because Facebook / Twitter / Gothamist / Too depressed to read news regularly, and now I’m back.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Of course an alternate interpretation regarding her visit to Syria is that she was one of the few congresspeople who were doing their job of advise and consent.

I’ve answered your questions but you’ve dodged mine? What is it about her that brings out the half truths?

1 Like

Again; it’s more than 600 days until the damn election and we’re already seeing an influx of obvious new trolley accounts and an ‘awakening’ of long-dormant accounts… just think of how much “fun” the next two-ish years is gonna be…

It’s a running gag that you would be hip to, if you engaged the community regularly.

Well, goody goody gumdrops for you then; that must mean you’re beyond reproach.

19 Likes

Or maybe just having tea with a despot in a secret meeting not disclosed to her own party leadership, reportedly at Trump’s behest.

The only question you posed was this:

“What is it about Tulsi that evokes such fear that the long knives and half truths come out about her?”

…which I’ve answered, inasfar as such a sloppy begging of the question can be.

I’m not a fan of Bari Weiss at all, but your obsessive invocation of her in this conversation is a bit weird and you don’t need to do it again.

27 Likes

Wow, you’re a peach, sarcastically responding to me when all I did wrong was not recognize an inside joke when it’s clear I’ve been gone for years. This should be a fun, and not at all hellish, place to talk about news items. I wasn’t saying that my buying a shirt made me “beyond reproach” but that it meant I was an actual fan, and not an account made by a paid troll.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how that would be better. I feel it would misrepresent the piece because the piece really doesn’t answer the question. I have no idea why Duke would endorse her, and it strikes me that it’s more likely because he has obsession with messing with her than because he actually thinks she’ll somehow uphold his values. It’s hard for me to take coveted as a description of Duke’s endorsement as anything other than a joke.

19 Likes

9 Likes

Boingboing doesn’t have enough readership to be that pivotal to the election. Especially not in the rural states that are completely over-represented in the Electoral College.

11 Likes

I’m not sure there are any real Gabbard supporters, aside from shitposters and Russia bots.

The fact that she’s a homophobe and transphobe puts her far to the right of anyone espousing liberal and/or leftist views.

9 Likes

Alas, they have to use the magic word, without being aware that the word is magical, to be eligible for the list.

19 Likes

Just statistically speaking, there must be.

Frankly, I’m more than a little annoyed that people* are already arguing vehemently over their preferred candidate this early in the cycle.

*Again, that’s assuming that at least some of the comments are coming from legit humans expressing their opinions and not just a whole slew of bots following their preprogrammed algorithm.

Oh you, and your “lax or draconian” rules.

16 Likes

Rob, your literal headline devoid of any sense of snark and running hit list of anyone who dares speak against your tyranny just makes it all the more obvious that you would rather have Trump in office rather than anyone more progressive than a pool noodle. We all know how many bucks your mouth for eye shoops generate, we know what really drives you.

17 Likes

How do you know the emotional state (in this case, fear, supposedly) of the people whose feelings about Gabbard are different than your own?

8 Likes

Oh, I’ve seen unpaid trollies, too.

10 Likes

It’s nice to hear from the Devil, just don’t make a habit of it.

7 Likes

99% off a lifetime subscription to long knives and half-truths in the Boing Boing Store!

29 Likes

14 Likes