Democrat Tulsi Gabbard wins coveted David Duke endorsement

OK. For the record, fuck Gabbard for being homophobic. If Duke likes here there’s probably even more I would find repugnant about her. I was just trying to explain why the headline looked the way it looked to the other commenter.

Maybe this devil didn’t need any advocacy, so I kind of regret commenting at all.

3 Likes

Uh - it isn’t a smear. It evidently is a fact. And obviously not one taken at face value as Rob says, “Duke’s probably trolling”. The homophobic comment isn’t a smear either, but describes some of her problematic positions in the past.

You seem fairly thin skinned about this topic. Though I suggest if you disagree with opinions, then post evidence that refutes them, vs calling everything you don’t like a smear. You literally can find any politician and find quotes and positions that you disagree with, even if you support the candidate.

9 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

15 Likes

I read the NYer piece a while back and found her freaky.

But really i just don’t trust good looking people.

2 Likes

I would think “wins coveted David Duke endorsement” is pretty darn tongue in cheek?

And I’ve read up on Tulsi Gabbard and she’s not my cuppa tea. At all. I like almost any of the others thus far. Kamala Harris seems like a good candidate to me.

7 Likes

Agreed. “Coveted” would never be used in a serious manner in association with such a gentleman as Mr. Duke in any circumstances that come to mind right off.

6 Likes

Why should LGBT people trust her given her history and what many leaders see as her disingenuous change of heart? She doesn’t have the support of her home state LGBT caucus.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/kfile-tulsi-gabbard-lgbt/index.html

19 Likes

odo-precisely

It’s really easy to just accept her at her word when it’s not one’s own rights on the line, but someone else’s. If the LBGQT community doesn’t trust her, perhaps they have a good reason to not do so and we should listen to that criticism.

21 Likes

Word.

It needs to be said that there’s no such thing as a perfect" candidate, but some are far less “ideal” than others.

Thus far I’m not super impressed by anyone who has thrown their hat into the ring, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna argue pointlessly about it for the next 600+ days.

17 Likes

15 Likes

I’ve felt that way before, after inadvertently wandering into a volatile post about dongles

O_O

12 Likes

I’ve been there too. Some topics can be straight up harrowing.

(ETA) I’m with you about the next 600 days. Lord save us, although if You haven’t yet I won’t be holding my breath.

7 Likes

I have a list.

Bicycles, scooters, ketchup, and knife sharpening methods are a few topics that are on it…

13 Likes

Yes - people change - but you need a history of that change to rely on. Just posting a youtube video without serious concrete actions over time doesn’t entitle someone to unabashed support; just some space to continue to prove themselves. They may earn that support - but it takes effort and time.

18 Likes

And on the same note: please, please post youtube videos and engage with the communities before they find your college yearbook where you were dressed up in blackface. People have done things that are wrong to varying degrees, and the expectation of growth and change requires the will to address them and show your interest in changing instead of using it as a bandage to save face.

12 Likes

That’s what so many people seem to be completely missing over in the Ralph Northam thread: he’s done nothing to prove that he’s changed for the better since making his “mistakes.”

14 Likes

The smear job is in the headline.

David Duke Drinks Water.

Rob Beschizza DRINKS WATER!

David and Rob are BESTIES!

2 Likes

I’ve been a Gabbard supporter ever since she gave up her DNC vice-chair position to endorse Bernie Sanders. She has totally evolved her position on LGBT rights since her early political career, and has a solid progressive record. Her record, combined with her anti-interventionist foreign policy, really shows that she could be a contender as the Democratic candidate. But all of the media coverage I see of her is full of half-truths and outdated news. To me, I really do see strong evidence of a smear campaign against her.

1 Like

That’s 3 in a row. BINGO!

@beschizza just fun for can you give smear the ■■■■■ treatment for today?

free-bagel-shmear

10 Likes

Did he sue LucasArts for stealing his look for Supreme Leader Snoke?