Denver suburb officially changes name from "Swastika Acres" to "Old Cherry Hills"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/17/hitler-elementary-next.html

4 Likes

tumblr_inline_pq376epidY1sviztv_540

16 Likes

Uh, this is why we can’t have nice things…?

4 Likes

If you think the Nazis ruined a nice harmless thing for the people of that suburb then just imagine how Charlie Chaplin must have felt.

15 Likes

“Swastika Acres” sounds like the name of a sitcom about some old Nazis who get up to mischief at a retirement home.

18 Likes

this seems like a change that could have happened in, oh, i don’t know, 1945.

16 Likes

Swastikas appear frequently in Native American artwork, although since WWII they do so less frequently. For example, swastikas are called the ‘Whirling Logs’ motif in Navajo weaving. According to the article, the subdivision was named for the NA symbol, not the Nazis, and long before WWII.

11 Likes

That would be a great role-reversal spinoff/sequel to Hogan’s Heroes.

11 Likes

Do YOU Know the title of the subdivision where you live? Often times, especially in older areas, they only show up on things like deeds. No one really pays attention to them and they aren’t seen.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing it quickly stopped appearing anywhere except the ordinance map around that time, and a hasty cover up may have contributed to there not being a formal change.

I was surprised to find out when buying my house that it and three other adjacent houses were part of a named “sub-division”. Not something which caught my attention, because I’ve already forgotten it. Something lame, like “Cherry Hills”.

5 Likes

…so why didn’t they change it in like … the 1940s?

1 Like

Remember Rick Perry’s lakeside troubles?

2011, a simpler time.

5 Likes

It’s the German version of Fawlty Towers.

7 Likes

Oooh, now that the name’s available again, Donald is having the Mar-a-Lago sign redone.

5 Likes

Another community named around the same time.

4 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of Last of the Summer Wine.
“Get out of here you rascally old Nazis!”
last-summer-of-win_2529200b

7 Likes

My wife loves advice columns and podcasts, and she played me a segment of Dan Savage’s podcast where a woman called in to say her boyfriend was wonderful in all aspects except for the fact that he insisted on sporting a Hitler mustache. His argument was that if people refused to wear that style of mustache, then Hitler wins. Dan’s reply was “Oh, Hitler won that mustache. He may have lost the war, but that will forever be known as a Hitler mustache.”

6 Likes

the setting, in this case, is Argentina.

2 Likes

But but but…

tHeY’rE eRaSiNg HiStOrY!!1!11!1

3 Likes

Well, I’m with the boyfriend. I suggest producing a Hitler movie in which he has a different type of facial hair. And another movie in which he is clean shaven. Soon problem solved.