Described as the "scream of a thousand corpses" -- the Aztec death whistle

I heard a fake shaman breathing hoarsely into a plastic toy. What am I missing?

1 Like

I vaguely remember hearing about these when I was a kid but never actually heard one, so I did a short search and found an example of a single one of these being used without going directly into a mic (Which would greatly exaggerate some of the most terrifying characteristics of this whistle. Its called an “ehecachichtli”

Yes, 100 of those would be shittastically terrifying.

Edit: It reminds me more of a Jaguar sound, which would still be terrifying and a bit more in line with the Aztec Jaguar warriors:

5 Likes

In the linked video for the blog post the whistle at times varies between the screech sound (like in the video you linked) and a bit more like a person screaming. I assume that each crafted whistle is going to have slightly different accoustics, and 100 of those going would be disorienting if anything, and at most it would induce panic.

Well, I bet you also have to learn how to play, give me BB King’s guitar and amp and I’ll make it sound like a dead piece of wood while Mr King will make it sing like the angels and cry like the devil.

2 Likes

Sounds like you know this, but the Aztecs had a very bad horse to person ratio.

6 Likes

The most metal ocarina ever.

9 Likes

The second (indoors) video is pretty underwhelming. The first one sounds like a death scream.

If the ancient Aztecs had access to modern recording and playback technology, I’m guessing they might have gone for something like this:

WARNING: If you have never played the Half-life games, this may be actually disturbing.

1 Like

Did someone mention Bad Horse?

2 Likes

Bad Horse is the only horse.

3 Likes

and he rules the league with an iron hoof.

3 Likes

Brown Trouser Time.

1 Like

Maybe what it actually does is play the infamous Brown Note. It would make sense.

I think I found my new ringtone.

4 Likes

I’d swear that the first few seconds of his soul-rending is identical to the beginning of a Depeche Mode song…

This absolutely needs to be a mod for Civilization.

3 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

Or this one?

(Music licensing is so balkanized)

2 Likes

I’ll see you and raise you 100 Confederate troops giving their fiercest rebel yell

2 Likes

Whereas the one they mocked up with charging horses sounds a bit too much like this: