Design for a vertical city in the Sahara desert

Sigh. Good catch.

The American protocol is usually to name developments after what was once there, and as such the natural feature currently present is now to be called the water basin and I presume the structure will be known as the Oasis.

Whispering Pines, Wampanoag Street, Shady Glen Drive, Redwood Highway, etc etc etc.

Gotta do something with the army of undocumented slave labor. BRB, asking MythBusters if Britta filters work on people slurry.

1 Like

And…I’ve put down my glass of iced green tea.

3 Likes

Scale up a stock cube enough and you’ve got a delicious, deliquescent arcology.

Nothing, like at a crosswalk?

1 Like

I think that the degree to which the design resembles the ‘post-apocalyptic Dubai’ setting from Spec Ops: The Line may not be a good sign.

2 Likes

I’d say it makes the design more fun.

They have that experience to draw from.

Seriously, micro climates are powerful tools if done right. I remember taking a tour of the Penang botanical gardens on a typically hot day. The tour went through a block of remnant rain forest and the temperature seemed to drop ten degrees. It might have been just the trees sucking up the humidity, but a building like this would be a great way to show that you can live in environments like that.

“The Sahara.” Sahara means “desert.”

1 Like

That’s like crossing the Rio Grande River.

1 Like

Well of course we -can-, but should we?

You can’t fool me. That’s not the Sahara, that’s the Fire Planet from Lexx.

1 Like

Why not? It’s a cool project, let’s go for it.

1 Like

Don’t forget to stop off at an ATM machine before you go.

2 Likes

An oasis is a fragile ecosystem, and they’re not replaceable, and they are just about the only place anything can live in desert.

Pave the grand canyon, why don’t we?

Can’t - I forgot my PIN number.

3 Likes

There’re quite many out there. One turned into a hightech building, which in turn is also a pretty interesting albeit artificial ecosystem, won’t matter. It’s not the last one anyway.

It’s a tourist attraction.

citation, please.

And that’s just the most notable ones.

Also,
http://www.conservationinstitute.org/interesting-sahara-desert-facts/
according to point 5, “In fact, there’s about 80,000 sq mi of oases across the Sahara. That is, over two percent of the Sahara is covered by oases.”

From your link:

the Sahara is pretty darn big, and getting bigger everyday. Just in the time since John Glenn first orbited the earth, it has expanded by another 250,000 sq mi to now cover over 3.6 million square miles.

I thought my memory from grade school textbooks was off, but nope: it really is bigger than when I studied geography in school. Noticeably. Wow.

2 Likes