Designer creates a new "gravity seal" for iconic Kikkoman soy sauce bottle

Originally published at: Designer creates a new "gravity seal" for iconic Kikkoman soy sauce bottle | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I can live without that gravity seal, as for the soy sauce I’m in for life.

14 Likes

That’s cool and all, but it’s not going to do much about oxidation. As soon as sauce is dispensed, it going to replace the volume dispensed with air from the surrounding atmosphere. Unless it deploys a blanket of argon as well, it has no way to segregate the sauce from the newly introduced oxygen.

Of course, this is all moot anyway because the bottle is by far the best part of Kikkoman “soy” sauce. It’s like working really hard to preserve a bottle of Barefoot Chardonnay.

17 Likes

I don’t know whether this is widely known, but you can screw the lid onto the spout of the 128-oz metal tin when you want to re-fill your bottle. I discovered this by accident, and now I no longer need to use a funnel.

12 Likes

“soy” ? Yours was made of people? (Freehand cell culture was the best, too bad it passed too many alien skin cells on.)

9 Likes

Suspended upside-down they (in their oldly configured caps) make lovely little hummingdinosaur feeders. Sorry, I don’t have a pic to shouyu.

10 Likes

True, but I have a feeling that a lot of people use these little guys as a receptacle to refill with better stuff. We buy our larger soy sauce bottles at an asian market. The Kikkoman small bottle is nice to bring to the table at dinner time.

4 Likes

what fun you got there

1 Like

How did you know? Hey, it’s tastier than the wheat they use as filler. :man_shrugging:t2:

Fun fact: Peas are quite prejudiced against soybeans and consider them a lower form of legume. But peas can be real buttholes. That’s why I have no compunction about eating them. Their screams are delicious.

Yeah, it’s a brilliant design and would use it myself, except every time I’ve tried to take the lid off it seemed to be a snap-on style and not threaded. That’s probably because it was always in a restaurant setting and they often make them non-refillable for the professional market. I was actually considering “liberating” one for just such a use.

5 Likes

You can get the threaded ones at about any asian market. That’s where I got mine. Though specifically a Japanese one would be the most likely to have these.

3 Likes

By an odd coincidence, I just got back from discovering that my local Chinese supernarket now stocks Kewpie mayonnaise. I had thrown away my 3D printed Kewpie lid from @frauenfelder ’s previous post, since I didn’t think I would be making another trip to the West End to buy $20 mayo, so now I will have to print another.

2 Likes

That seems a bit more ethical, too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

At least Mark open-sourced his file. I am not able to find the stl for Clark’s lid. Anyone else have luck with that? If so, please post the link.

Isn’t this culinary cappropriation?

1 Like

The original doesn’t really prevent dripping. Every time I put down a bottle in a restaurant, it leaves a soy sauce ring.

1 Like

I still have to find a review for echoic sake…

That’s right; go on. Kikkoman* when he’s down.

*or a pea

6 Likes

Yam sausages, soy sauce and horseradish?

8 Likes

Go Away GIF

6 Likes