Desperate for advertising Musk resorts to threats and lawsuits

Originally published at: Desperate for advertising Musk resorts to threats and lawsuits | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Freeze Peach!

13 Likes

Yes, I’m sure Musk’s Twitter is an ideal platform for advertisers to find people who want to celebrate the accomplishments of women athletes. :roll_eyes:

23 Likes

Really shaping up to be presidential material. I wonder how good’s his golf game.

4 Likes

I’m starting to think Elon wasn’t being honest about being a “free speech absolutist.”

Seriously, though, even from a purely business perspective … what does he think this will accomplish, other than getting more negative press? If Elon really thinks this is a lawsuit worth getting into, he’s even more deluded than I thought.

10 Likes

Can we just call it XChan now?

18 Likes

Desperate, what makes you say that?

11 Likes

I think they have a distrust&danger department now.

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, were he not a native South African, I’d have very real concerns about this. He’s clearly enough of a megalomaniac, and there are legions of “hE’s a GenIuS!” folks out there who would give him their vote. Luckily, the Constitution headed this catastrophe off for us.

5 Likes

See, I’m mixed on being unconcerned.

There are constitutional restrictions on emoluments, and you see how well that worked out.

Also, I’m sure the originalists will come up with some excuse citing a law from the 1300s on why that’s not what the framers meant.

9 Likes

… he doesn’t meet the “natural born citizen” requirement in Article II

Maybe he can run for president of South Africa :thinking:

6 Likes

Lots of people have suddenly become “interested” in womens sports in the last few years, after showing absolutely no positive interest for decades. It wouldn’t surprise me if these are the people who are still on twitter.

8 Likes

If we didn’t change it for Arnold we surely won’t for Elon.

7 Likes

I take your point, and The Supremes (Roberts, not Ross) are completely untrustworthy these days.

The difference in my mind, though, is that identifying an emoluments violation is more a matter of interpretation, while the requirements for eligibility for president are pretty straightforward and unambiguous.

The legal gymnastics required to circumvent this are beyond the capabilities of even Roberts, who clearly has a Simone Biles-level of competence in that particular sport.

4 Likes

Sort of like paying attention to legal precedents / “established law” is important?

4 Likes

They probably wouldn’t but it would worry me more. Arnold probably has plenty of fascist fans, but there’s something about the “I’m very smart, technocratic-fascist” flavor of the Musk fanbase that seems like it would be positively relentless in a way Arnold fans just wouldn’t be able to sustain…

5 Likes

Again, I understand the skepticism of the current funhouse mirror (minus the fun) version of the court.

I’ll preface this by saying I am not a lawyer. But it seems to me that observing/honoring precedent comes into play where there is ambiguity and wiggle room.

In this case, there appears to be neither.

3 Likes

The current Court is focused on giving the Republican Party the results they want. If the party demands that Donald Trump should be allowed to run for more than two terms in the White House, the Court will gladly declare the Constitution unconstitutional.

Until the GOP decides Elon is going to be their new standard-bearer, I don’t think the Court will side with him. But the minute the party goes fascist enough to pick him, the Court will, too.

2 Likes

I think we’re past the point where we should consider Elon Musk as making real cost-benefit decisions like that. As an ex-employee said he “rules from his gut” – meaning it’s all impulsive. Even buying twitter in the first place was an impulse he couldn’t get out of.

Now people are criticizing how he’s run the place, so he’ll show them, and here we are. He’s a bully, so he tries bullying people to get what he wants. I just hope he’s getting to the point where there are consequences for it.

11 Likes

Yes, people who have that very particular interest in women’s sport are indeed busy on Twitter.

5 Likes