Despite price cuts, Tesla still producing more cars than it can sell

The Model Y starts at $55k for the base model. Adding FSD or Autopilot, hell, getting the paint in any color other than white brings the price up to over 70k. Hardly what I’d call value. Tesla is clearly following the German luxury pricing model.

1 Like

My point isn’t how much water it takes to put out a battery fire - like “Oh no, so much water wasted!”

It’s just the added danger and damage of letting an EV car fire basically burn itself out, destroying the car, damaging asphalt, possibly spreading to other cars or structures if in a parking lot, etc.

I think EVs are the future, but we still need to consider things like battery fires as their adoption becomes more wide spread.

Adding FSD or Autopilot, hell, getting the paint in any color other than white brings the price up to over 70k.

Alright, but those are the options that I was saying aren’t exactly must-buys. There are lots of base white Teslas out there whose owners probably thought “this is plenty expensive enough as is” like I did. And even if you get all the upgrades, you’re not doubling or trebling the base price (though you might well be doubling or trebling Tesla’s profit since so many of them are essentially zero marginal cost software upgrades).

1 Like

I run into a lot more anti-ICE propaganda out there, anecdotally speaking.

True. But…

I can’t bring myself to think that lithium mining is not a thing. True, it’s not the source of the energy like hydrocarbons are, but unless them batteries are made to be really recyclable, it can almost be looked at like a consumable.

Oh, and water.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.