Detroit judge faces lawsuit after detaining and humiliating a sleeping 15-year-old during a courtroom field trip

Originally published at: Detroit judge faces lawsuit after detaining and humiliating a sleeping 15-year-old during a courtroom field trip - Boing Boing

11 Likes

what the actual flyin fuck?!?

22 Likes

I’ll do whatever needs to be done to reach these kids and make sure that they don’t end up in front of me.

Here’s hoping he’s soon no longer there for anyone to end up in front of.

33 Likes

It looks like some judge is angling to get 20 years on Titan.

6 Likes

… Christ, what an asshole

19 Likes

*sighs

The judge is Black, too.

(Not that Black folks can’t be bigoted against other Black folks, they totally can, and that muthafucka was dead wrong in his behavior.)

26 Likes

Odds are this isn’t even the most outrageous/harmful thing he’s done in his job. If he’s doing this to a schoolgirl who hasn’t even been accused of a crime, then how many criminal defendants have received severe injustices in their trials or sentences because this Judge was in a bad mood or something trivial happened to set him off?

28 Likes

… he’s just keeping up with current case law

The Supreme Court Ruled That It’s OK to Criminalize Sleeping While Homeless

22 Likes

Someone left a most concerning comment on the first video I saw from Channel 7 (local ABC) news about this. They’d wound up in front of this %^&@*#, and the judge treated them like the criminal despite their being the victim of theft! This fuckwit appears to hate all people but looooves himself.

The first innerview I saw w/the judge after this happened, he was dressed like a pimp or rich preacher.

I was not surprised in the least that he’s wearing a suit that costs more than two months’ rent. Here’s the vid in question:

That poor kid and her mom! They better win that lawsuit, and get enough to buy a house outright and then some!

26 Likes

The one somewhat positive aspect of this story is that the Judge was removed from the docket fairly quickly after doing this, but now I’m wondering if he was already well known by his superiors to be an unstable hothead and this was just the last straw, rather than a proactive step to protect the folks who would have to appear in front of this guy. He probably should have been removed a long time ago.

20 Likes

100% agreed! Other commenters on the vid made that point and similar. His entire judge-ly history needs to be gone over w/a fine toothed comb, most esp once he began running social media/live streams of himself in action.

I bet this is his favorite song.

ETA:
“…I wanna kiss myself…”

14 Likes

No legal reason for confining a minor? That sounds like a kidnapping charge.

25 Likes

The live stream thing…I can’t see how that’s legal. I mean, I suppose Court TV did it but it’s just insane. It’s like he wants to be a television judge more than a real one. I deal with a lot of judges and there’s nothing quite like power to amplify the worst aspects of a person. Fortunately it works the other way too and there are some who are truly humbled by their power.

11 Likes

Does he have kids?

'Cause if he treats someone else’s kids this way, you can bet he’s treating his own kids way, way worse.

10 Likes

I wonder what this judge would’ve done if it was a certain defendant that fell asleep in his courtroom.

14 Likes

Did y’all catch the end of that video? The judge has offered to mentor the girl?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?! This MF is completely detached from reality.

18 Likes

After I’d read he said that, my immediate thought was “there’s a predator.” Identified a girl who is in a vulnerable situation and also terrified of his authority.

I’m glad to see the mom is suing. I hope her attorney is really good.

17 Likes

Oh, yeah! Dude is thoroughly demented.

6 Likes

He still should be removed permanently. AFAIK he just has a paid leave to take “sensitivity training” or something like that. No real consequences.

To me this sounds like a sex/power thing to isolate an obviously vulnerable and marginalized young female who people won’t trust or believe. If he is that confident with his game he’s probably done it before imo. Wrong or right I hope maybe there are enough lawsuits and mistrials coming out of this to actually hurt his career someday.

10 Likes

Cruelly tears her down over nothing then offers to mentor her. He reeks of predator.

14 Likes