"Devastated morale" at Meta after layoffs and Zuckerberg's "bad bets"

I recently bought Star Wars Squadrons (at the time on sale for $5.99 on Steam!) and it’s AMAZING in VR. The only downside so far for me is that the controls can be a little fiddly to configue, since it was designed to be capable of using either a game controller, keyboard/mouse, or a HOTAS setup. The experience of flying an X-wing in VR is everything I ever wanted as a 10-year-old. But man, is it difficult. I have to play on story mode so I don’t die within 30 seconds.

9 Likes

Imagining what Zuck would make for AR…just everyone walking around with their facebook handles, follower and like counts hovering over their heads…this is definitely that Black Mirror ep, right?

6 Likes

Yep. I just recently bought an AR app so I can see the names of the mountains on the horizon. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it works. This on top of using AR on again, off again since 2010 for stargazing.

And all on the phone, and wishing there was some successor to Google Glass without camera, just a sort of glasses I could slip on to see the labels, the turn directions when walking. Little augmentations instead of replacing what I see.

9 Likes

Yah, this feels inevitable. As soon as it can be done nicely and not look enormously dorky, it’ll happen. AR’s usefulness will reach a tipping point and then people won’t want to hold up their phones all the time. Our grandkids will wonder how we ever knew what anything was before their contact lenses automatically labeled everything?

I would wear them for travel alone! The real time AR translation app by Google is incredible and absolutely game changing for travel. If that was built in to glasses, it would be a freaking revelation.

7 Likes

I think this is part of why Apple is (according to rumor) bringing out their AR glasses despite some teams fighting it as not quite ready yet. Of course they will be rough in the first iterations, but the thing to do is to see how people actually use them, and what developers will come up with for them once they are on the market.

I would hope the (again, rumored) high price tag is Apple’s way of saying “hey, these are not toys, but tools. We found use with them, and hope some of you do too.”

4 Likes

I hope that doesn’t backfire the way Glass did. That got such a bad rap from the way they tried to roll out the test units that Google walked away from the whole concept, probably for a decade or more at least. Rolling something out, even in test form, before it’s really ready is a dangerous game.

6 Likes

Have they tried beating their employees with sticks yet?

3 Likes

Ugh… i try to limit my exposure to G products as it is (none on my phone), so the idea of having something track exactly where i’m going, looking and other assorted biometrics to be sent to them and strip-mined for advertisers doesn’t sound nearly as attractive as it did when i once longed for a Trek computer of my own and Majel’s friendly voice.

6 Likes

I’m wondering how much more Meta has to sink before investors decide to sue Zuck.

2 Likes

Meanwhile I’ll keep doing my part to normalize dorkiness🤓

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.