Dick Van Dyke breaks out in song to surprised Denny's diners

You would have been 2 or 3 years old when those came out, except for Dr. Strangelove, which came out a year before you were born.

There are a number of movies that I thought I saw in the original release, but later noticed that the math didn’t work. I lived in a small town with a single theater with a single screen, something that didn’t change until the 70s. The movie changed every week, unless it was a big blockbuster, so my family went every week, regardless of what the movie was. This was before the MPAA ratings, so nudity and profanity was still being reigned in. The only time they didn’t let kids in was for a showing of “The Taming of the Shrew”, which I still don’t understand.

Linkie?

1 Like

Thanks for joining the discussion! Nothing more wonderful than singing a cappella with friends.

3 Likes

Dick Van Dyke on Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast

also Gilbert reduces DVD to hysterics

I suspect GG is bringing to life some Drew Friedman caricature but this is outside my cultural reference. Would someone please identify the impression for me?

5 Likes

As you can tell from the video, that Denny’s is notoriously out of sync.

If it’s the Denny’s I think it is… The Norm’s across the street was tragically located in the light rail right-of-way. The legendary Bay Cities Deli does not allow filming unless you clear it with Hector. If they’d gone to Swinger’s on the other corner, well that might look like an ad for Swinger’s (that rocket shake, though…).

@BeavertonBass:
Encore!

Promenade.

SM Pier.

Venice Beach.

CicLAvia (October 16)?

1 Like

The retired love it. My dad - who’s 76, not 90 - pretty much goes there with all his Italian old guy friends every day after the gym. Then they play bocce. It’s a good life if you can get it…

2 Likes

Obviously Strangelove wasn’t on first run, but my parents were into photography, and mad keen Kubruck fans, so I got to see all the good movies while I was young enough to be permanently warped by them. First run didn’t mean the same thing then as today. A print would have had to make its way to Australia, which could take six months even ten years ago.

I have good memories back to the age of three and I am pretty sure I would have seen 2001 and the movie in question around the time they came out. Certainly both scared me enough to make me frightened of screens in the years afterwards.

Strange that a kids movie would be made that way.

Awesome! Dick Van Dyke is a national treasure and you can tell him we said so!

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.