Dictator Trump says presidents should have "total immunity" even if they "cross the line"

Originally published at: Dictator Trump says presidents should have "total immunity" even if they "cross the line" - Boing Boing

2 Likes

So… Joe Biden should have full immunity if he orders Seal Team 6 to “neutralize” 45?

I hate this stupid timeline…

34 Likes

In past posts, 45 said it would even apply to former presidents. To cover his actions after he left office, of course. If so then…

"Jimmy, we have one more job for you."

13 Likes

Well, but see, that’s different… he’d be going after the REAL America’s president… /s

Pedro Pascal Laugh GIF by Golden Globes

7 Likes

“A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY, WITHOUT WHICH IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM/HER TO PROPERLY FUNCTION. ANY MISTAKE, EVEN IF WELL INTENDED, WOULD BE MET WITH ALMOST CERTAIN INDICTMENT BY THE OPPOSING PARTY AT TERM END,”

And yet, for nigh on 250 years, that hasn’t happened, Donald.

17 Likes

I would have to imagine that even this compromised supreme court would look at that statement and say “no”. Even my pessimism can’t go that far.

11 Likes

A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY, WITHOUT WHICH IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM/HER TO PROPERLY FUNCTION

Gosh, how did all those previous Presidents function, I wonder?

ETA and a coke for @euansmith

13 Likes

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 Likes

Haven’t you heard, Trump’s situation is UNPRESIDENTED!!! :smile:

11 Likes

So then there is no “line” to cross.

7 Likes

I don’t want knowledge,
I want certainty!

2 Likes

We can hope it remains exactly that, too!

5 Likes

Hey Don, talk to Bennie the Moose about total immunity.

3 Likes

And yet the second Biden presses a big ass loaded gun to his orange skull he’ll change his tune.

“Do you feel lucky, punk?”

4 Likes

Now where have I heard some nonsense like this before?

From Wikipedia:

In part 3, Frost asked Nixon whether the president could do something illegal in certain situations such as against antiwar groups and others if he decides “it’s in the best interests of the nation or something”. Nixon replied: “Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal”, by definition

8 Likes

It strikes me that despite that statement, Nixon STILL accepted the pardon from Ford, so clearly, despite what he SAID, he knew better… That presidents are not above the law.

21 Likes

Why would a dictator care about lines? Lines are for little people, to be redrawn at will.

5 Likes

Yeah, every time I read these claims, it just seems like Trump/'his lawyers are just begging to have him assassinated.

10 Likes

Similarly, Trump spent years insisting that he could pardon himself. Bruh if you are already immune from prosecution for all crimes why would you need to pardon yourself?

8 Likes

I remember how Trump feigned being upset that Obama allegedly wiretapped him? Based on this principle, Obama could have brained him with a microwave and been within his rights, as he had “total immunity”.

12 Likes