Did you ever want to play questions?

Aren’t there many recipes out there? Do corned beef or salmon not immediately jump to mind?

Do you mean British ‘corned beef’ imported from Argentina (probably) or American corned beef, which we might call ‘brined beef’?

UK

US

4 Likes

Do you know how unappealing Reuben sandwiches were to me until I learned this distinction?

3 Likes

What kind of sense does it make that brined beef isn’t as popular over here?

Is that the time!? Doesn’t the shop close soon! Will I be left without alcohol!?!?

Should I even be drinking again after last night?

Are you talking to yourself?

“No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true," right?

Did you know @OtherMichael is the patron saint of awesome?

2 Likes

Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet, @OtherMichel looks up from his pastis, gives a gallic shrug and asks “N’est-ce pas?”

8 Likes

Can you believe I didn’t know to make the distinction? Isn’t the British version a lot like corned beef hash without the potatoes? Could the US export a few kosher delis to fix this issue?

3 Likes

Is that basil and Sriracha on there?

2 Likes

Couldn’t we just get a export a load of Pacific Islander grocers to the US instead?

1 Like

For corned (brined) beef?

You know tinned corned beef’s a staple food, is often given as gifts and unfortunately a leading cause of obesity amongst Pacific Islanders? And they sell 25lb tins of the stuff in the supermarkets there? And that they throw a party like nobody else?

2 Likes

Can I state that I was talking about getting the non-tinned variety in the UK?

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/d/4/d40302fe20afe6aca365b505be04e12aafda9579.jpg

Wasn’t the spread of the tinned version due to war rations, sort of like SPAM?

Did you know they make SPAM sushi in Hawaii, for similar reasons?

3 Likes

Ahh, would the interrogatory nature of this thread and the Sunday arvo beers explain why I was getting the wrong end of the stick here?

I think that in the South Pacific, it’s introduction goes back to the British Empire and the use of it in the Navy? Would you believe that when I really need that reference book, the bugger is nowhere to be found? Typical, Eh?

2 Likes

Wasn’t it ‘Bully Beef to win the war!’?

2 Likes

Did you know that spam sushi (musubi) is actually really good? Did you also know that Hawaiian restaurants are relatively plentiful… in California, and at least a couple in NYC, good luck elsewhere… and I recommend trying it? Along with everything else on the menu?

4 Likes

When I was in San Diego, is it understandable why I couldn’t stay away from the poke?

3 Likes

What else would you do with pumpernickel? Make croutons?

1 Like