Did you ever want to play questions?

Aren’t all the fun jobs totally saturated nowadays?

1 Like

Why am I obsessed with impossible music?

3 Likes

Aren’t I giving myself an ulcer thinking about the stupid history job market? Aren’t I going to have to do something else with my PhD because tenure track is going away and being an adjunct doesn’t pay? Who is going to hire a historian of culture and the cold war and the recording industry? Am I having an existential crisis here?

8 Likes

Wait, history of the cold war? Couldn’t you brush up on a scooch of modern poli-sci and land a great job at a think tank?

Shouldn’t you go barn storm the state department?

4 Likes

As if someone coming from a state school is going to get a job at the state department, when those are jobs for the elite? Wouldn’t a think tank be a possibility, or perhaps a nice non-profit? Doesn’t everyone need researchers?

1 Like

I’ve often wondered should we have a job discussion thread?

4 Likes

Couldn’t it be an interesting read, since that’s presumably something many of us struggle with?

2 Likes

Run a record store?

6 Likes

Is it just me, or are there some hurt feelings on the boards today?

1 Like

Is it not clear?

Not sure when we’ll see @awjt again. I know he’s been getting a lot of pushback, but he’s not all wrong. I’m not gonna throw tantrums about it, and I’m not saying anyone else has.

This place belongs to the powers, and I don’t have to agree with them. I think some recent actions have been contrary to their own standards.

Again, I’m not gonna kick and scream, I just hope we (collectively) can see things a little more clearly and act accordingly.

Is that fair?

1 Like

So I take a few hours away from the intarwebz to do homework, and end up missing something?

6 Likes

Don’t I not know? Don’t I think no one was asking anything particularly onerous of him? Do I have to spend my entire life being sorry for being mad about sexism, racism, and people punching down? Can’t people punch down without meaning to and if called out on it, isn’t more helpful to try and understand why people might be upset instead of doubling down? Don’t I like @awjt very much and enjoy his stuff, but don’t I agree with @milliefink and dont’ think she was remotely being unfair or out of line?

6 Likes

Isn’t it mainly in the Jared thread and the Wal-Mart IDF costume thread?

1 Like

Oh, well I guess I wouldn’t have seen it anyway, huh? Aren’t there some threads I avoid, for sanity’s sake?

8 Likes

Aren’t you a clever one? Don’t I wish I could turn my brain off sometimes and not have to feel it matters?

6 Likes

Why do you think I play stupid silly goofy games like Team Fortress 2?

5 Likes

Doesn’t that depend on what you mean by masculinity?

Uhh… when I replied to your comment didn’t it have two sentences the second of which was ‘Do I seem masculine?’ or something similar?

I mean, you edited your comment, cause it includes a quote from my comment in reply to it… so… uhh… did you change the initial part as well?

Anyway, I was going to say I thought you displayed embody a very healthy and well adjusted animus, wasn’t I?

Aren’t the rest of your excellent questions too much for a Sunday evening? And so, isn’t it at least some relief that most of them are, if I’m reading them right, rhetorical? And so all I really need do is indicate that I agree?

2 Likes