Did you ever want to play questions?

Anyone got a shed I can rent?

1 Like

Anyone else wake up with a positive attitude today?

Excoood beef!!! Any butty got a bottle ORRN DOOF!?!?

3 Likes

Seconded. Best of luck!! @japhroaig

andā€¦adding forgotten ā€œ?ā€ā€¦no one Donalded me, good thing?

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m gonna live tweet or blog the situation, cause donā€™t I expect serious shenanigans?

1 Like

Are you good at house cleaning?
(Seriously, good luck and I am sure it will turn out well for you)

1 Like

Good at house cleaning? Does the pope shit in the woods?

(Iā€™m house trained so hard Iā€™ve installed more curtains than my oklahoma grandmother)

2 Likes

Which of those guys is you? :smile:

1 Like

Pretty sure I am a svelte, more well behaved Nick frost? (The zombie)

2 Likes

Can you be RatBoy the Elderā€™s roommate? Isnā€™t he in a zombie phase right now? Donā€™t you have to take the top bunk, though? And no rattling the chains at night?

[Edit:] Hah! Fixed it before I got Donalded (again) didnā€™t I? Is there a record for the number of Donaldings in this thread? Am I the winner yet?

3 Likes

Sounds good, but mind if I mutter braaains occasionally when I sleepā€¦ In German?

2 Likes

A zombie gotta do what a zombie gotta do, amirite?

2 Likes

What would we call such a startup? CoffR?

1 Like

@shaddack, quick, I need to figure out how to make Bakelite, how do I make two tons a year?

Phenol and formaldehyde, some catalyst. Mix, heat, make a condensed goo. Add a filler, wood flour is common, asbestos can also be used. Put into a mould, pressurize, heat to 150 'C for a while.

Processing of 1 kg per hour, given 8 hour workday, would require 250 workdays for two tons. Doesnā€™t sound excessive.

More details needed?

7 Likes

Hrm, the BOM doesnā€™t sound insane, but pressureā€¦ I have access to a number of six axis mills, and want to make Bakelite lego bricks, but I have to come up with the Bakeliteā€¦ Is this a fools errand?

1 Like

Possible slogan ā€œCoffR Mortuary You shoot 'em, we root 'emā€?

4 Likes

Given the questioner, do we need to answer?

1 Like

If you donā€™t pressurize it, you get porous brittle result. Here is some info about injection-molding bakelite.

The pressure can be delivered by standard way of a screw, like the conventional injection moulding from melt does. Maybe even just good clamping of the mould parts would do the job; the purpose of the pressure is to suppress bubble generation within the material.

Beware of the required mechanical tolerances. Lego bricks are made of ABS, a tough robust material. Bakelite is however fairly brittle. (Maybe use hemp fibers instead of wood flour, to get a more robust composite?) It will be prone to wear at the edges where the parts snap together. Also, for a good snap there have to be fairly tight tolerances; maintaining these is the magic behind Legos working well.

Further questions? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ā€œWhen someone puts a hole in a body, who else would you trust to put that body in a hole?ā€

6 Likes

Might the most recent episode of Doctor Who be the best piece of scifi, perhaps the best piece of television ever produced?