Did you ever want to play questions?

No spoilers damn it…why did I forget to download that last night?

2 Likes

It sounds almost exactly like the conversation I was having a few hours ago–any other good materials? (Pig iron, epoxy, spring steel, hard wood, shellac…?)

1 Like

:frowning::anguished::fearful::scream::flushed::no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth::open_mouth::hushed::fearful::kissing::kissing::kissing_smiling_eyes::kissing::kissing::no_mouth::no_mouth::scream:::no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth:!?

6 Likes

For LEGO bricks? Epoxy, steel, aluminium/magnesium alloys that can be injection-moulded, those inject-mouldable amorphous metals popular for golf clubs… Anything that is sufficiently elastic for the snap-together action. (Or, you can use magnets instead of the snap-together bits.) For wood and shellac, why not use original bricks and apply the material as a veneer?

1 Like

Well now that was a good story wasn’t it?

1 Like

That one bit though… with the thing? Wasn’t that awesome!?

2 Likes

Should we?

7 Likes

You know you get hugs all around from this crowd, right? If you make it out here, you know you’ve got a couch to sleep on and small people to stare at you in the morning before you wake up, right?

3 Likes

Shall we sing?

2 Likes

How could we not?

1 Like

Seconded.

2 Likes

I talked about aluminum and magnesium specifically, and the consensus was they don’t have enough flex at the size to make a good fitting brick-- It’s not that aluminum and mg are rigid per se, but perhaps rigid enough to not be desirable for conical locks, right?

The other obvious alternative is to have a locking mechanism different than legos. Why not pressure fitted tapers, which would be perfect for aluminum right?

1 Like

This near you, @TobinL?

Well closer than you are anyway… I am nearish the mall which is a good 30 blocks north, and 20 blocks east of that fun isn’t it?

Well doesn’t that sound appetizing? :scream: People still eat off of that stuff?

1 Like

Wasn’t I thinking that it produced some real howlers of plot devices that will have to be dealt with in future?

1 Like

Don’t I agree that we don’t need spoilers @miasm?

1 Like

Given the accuracy metal can be machined with, cannot we thin the walls at strategic places to achieve the flex where we want it? (Could it be done by moulding or would we need a postprocessing precision-machining step?)

True. Could we even engineer them to be compatible with regular plastic bricks? (Finite-element modeling, where are thou?)

Given that people ate from that for decades, does an occasional exposure cause any significant load? Shouldn’t we worry only over sustained long-term day-to-day use here?

Didn’t people used to eat off of pewter and other lead-containing kitchenware for a long time? Do we really want to ignore what we’ve learned since those days?