Did you ever want to play questions?

Why did I have to tempt fate like that?

Hasn’t my Firefox CPU usage jumped past 100% just now, within moments of what I posted above?

Why me?

2 Likes

Muprhy’s gremlins?

1 Like

Are you running Flash?

Don’t I have to, for all the YouTube videos linked here?

Did you know YouTube plays without flash?

2 Likes

I recently got the same kind of 30 second hang without flash… I’m starting to think it might be something to do with pre-loading animated gifs from just below the bottom edge of the page… maybe?

1 Like

why do you think you need flash to watch youtube videos?

1 Like

Maybe a stupid question, I know a lot of Linux, nearly nothing about Mac, but are you able to make a ‘/etc/hosts’ file?
Together with privacy Badger it makes me happy, and don’t put a burden on my machine. (Witch I put burdens on myself) and shouldn’t that be like that?

I guess not?

1 Like

What is that, and what does it do?

2 Likes

Did you know Mac OS X is a BSD derivative? What would you recommend adding to /etc/hosts, to deal with browsers being slow, though?

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, didn’t I have some sort of flash block add-on which got wiped away with the resetting?

Am I getting more and more confused about this as the week rolls on?

1 Like

Did you know the user space on OsX is a BSD descendant, and as such /etc/hosts behaves exactly as one would expect?

1 Like

What if I was to mention that /etc/hosts is a file that the operating system refers to before visiting DNS to look up what IP address a hostname resolves to, and that if you edit it to add things like ‘127.0.0.1 annoying.domainyouneverwanttohearfrom.com’ then you can bypass loading things, though you’d need to know who was being a problem and why before it’d help much?

2 Likes

Yes I do know, but I have no idea if a, wow… how do I say that… Is a “average user” able to edit that file?

Isn’t it what nemomeno said?
And maybe is this file helpful? http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

1 Like

Does double-checking that some flash block is set up sound like a good place to start? Is Flash the enemy of all browsers and the all time worst cause of out of control CPU spikes?

2 Likes

If your account is listed as admin in OsX, do you not have root? Do you sudo? (While editing /etc/hosts is an option, don’t Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin work fine for me on Firefox / OsX and don’t I usually do the remaining DNS monkey business at the server level since OsX’s resolver is a bit funky?)

2 Likes

It will not help if you browser is slow after you removed the expected culprits like addblocker etc. But it will help in all (browser) connections. And does it not help if you want to get rid of one or two of the clogging addons?

You make it a lot clearer, OSX does not do sudo, but has a admin setting, are I thankfull?

And is off course using these addons probably a very save and usable option for most users?