Did you know we were making oxygen on Mars?

Originally published at: Did you know we were making oxygen on Mars? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Yes.

14 Likes

No. 

10 Likes

(Gasp) Now I do.

4 Likes

­ Maybe

6 Likes

Cool stuff. From what I can figure it looks like at maximum output this only produces about 1/3 of the oxygen that a human would need, but clearly it’s more than enough for the trained gerbils that are driving this thing around Mars.

13 Likes

I don’t care, as long as it’s not enough for Elon to survive on.

17 Likes

What does Moxie do with the carbon? Asking for another planet.

1 Like

Is this the first act of terraforming we’ve done on another world?!

21 Likes

Not if you count the fertilizer that we left behind on the moon. There might be a whole crop of space potatoes growing there by now.

22 Likes

“harmlessly” releases the gas. Uh huh. Sure.

1 Like

Regular news story here. Maybe it’s just because I’m reading Kim Stanly Robertson’s Mars trilogy and I played the terraforming Mars video game for a bit recently that it was so visible to me but it seemed pretty mainstream.

3 Likes

It’s a very slow way to start. They clearly need the prelude cards.

8 Likes

New band name, Poop on the Moon.

7 Likes

Nice, but I’d be more impressed if it made toast.

3 Likes

But I do know that Elon is making a bunch of hot air on Earth about colonizing Mars

5 Likes

"Remarkable piece of machinery. Completely Automated. You know, we manufacture those, by the way. " --Burke

1 Like
4 Likes

<gasping, crawling across surface of Mars in failing space suit>

WHERE?!?

2 Likes

“Removes contaminants” as if those exist on Mars. WE are the only things “contaminating” Mars. I’m not actually against terraforming the Red Planet, but I expect there are those who do or will. Kim Stanley Robinson’s books, “Red Mars,” “Green Mars” and “Blue Mars” were, in part, about the ethics of altering a planet (or any place, really) for our own convenience.

5 Likes