Did you spot this historical blooper in Oppenheimer? (Don't worry, no spoilers)

Originally published at: Did you spot this historical blooper in Oppenheimer? (Don't worry, no spoilers) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

@physicsfun noticed another anachronism: The movie trailer includes images of a countdown using the retro orange glow of the Nixie cold cathode tubes, which did not exist in 1945.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvFezLHxf1_/

Further discussion on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nixie/comments/zpmzmx/a_nixie_clockcounter_used_in_upcoming_nolans/

7 Likes

11 Likes

Also, all the actors tend to be a bit prettier/handsomer than the people they portray.

6 Likes

1985 movie Crime Wave, from Canada.

2 Likes

And in the case of General Groves, about 70 pounds lighter.

3 Likes

Or it’s a continuity error.

2 Likes

Also, Oppenheimer did not have sex with Tatlock during, and in front of, his Security Clearance hearing.

2 Likes

Another goof was that the movie was filmed in IMAX, but IMAX wasn’t invented until, like, the 70s. Yoinks! Nolan steps in it again!

6 Likes

Nobody mentioned yet that the actors werent using real uranium and plutonium in the movie? Also when they are showing criticality experiments the free neutrons would have caused interference with the camera electronics causing video artifacts. Goofed again Mr. Nolan!

6 Likes

Looking at that photo makes me wish for “Tim Burton’s Oppenheimer”, starring Paul Reubens as Oppenheimer.

6 Likes

Stress eating, and who can blame him.
I read somewhere that he kept his chocolate in his office safe.

2 Likes

The entire film was edited to play like an Oppenheimer movie trailer, but movie trailers for Oppenheimer didn’t even exist way back then.

3 Likes

I mean, I wouldn’t put it past Nolan. That sort of thing (dreams, memories, things in the background that only make sense later) is his jam, isn’t it?

4 Likes

… except they shot on actual film

like, they had to have film custom-made because black-and-white IMAX film is not a thing :thinking:

4 Likes

Clearly, the chocolate wasn’t all that safe after all.

3 Likes

… this grim-and-gritty remake of Willy Wonka is destroying my childhood :sob:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Meh, I’m just going to watch Fat Man and Little Boy again, and I just consider it historical, mostly non-fiction, regardless of the stars on any flags in the movie.

3 Likes
3 Likes