Dig this psychedelic squirrel's rainbow look

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/dig-this-psychedelic-squirrel.html

5 Likes

tumblr_p0tbqxdkyN1qg2n7mo1_400

12 Likes

Similar to the way flamingos get their pink coloration from eating shrimp, these squirrels get their psychedelic coloration from eating hippies.

24 Likes

Someone was definitely getting creative with the color balance; they’re clearly a lot more subtle in real life:

15 Likes

Still quite beautiful. Perhaps more so.

6 Likes

I’m upset that i never knew this awesome beautiful animal was a thing until just now. I could have been enjoying its technicolor splendor this whole time.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Squirrels of Paradise.

6 Likes

I want them in my yard, but my cats would make short work of them.

It makes the squirrel I saw the other day, with a gray body and reddish-orange tail, look positively pedestrian.

2 Likes

Where do they forage for food? Coachella?

9 Likes

I was afraid they lived downstream from the dye factory and drank what they thought was Kool-Aid!

5 Likes

Shh. They’re secret squirrels for a reason.

5 Likes

Did you miss the “giant” part of the name? Adults are over 3 feet long and weight almost 5 lbs.

5 Likes

LOL yes, yes I did.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re beautiful - and amazing - animals as it is.

Since the rodents are omnivorous, I think there’s actually more of a danger that the squirrels would eat your cats.

3 Likes

Also, a non-zero chance that your cats will think it’s cool and get some hair dye to join the trend… :smiley:

4 Likes

Huh! That’s way more psychedelic than any Giant Squirrels I’ve seen… They’re usually a kind of reddish brown like this:

1 Like

I can’t believe no one has gone here, yet:

2 Likes