Dig this swingin' Japanese version of the Batman TV theme song

Originally published at: Dig this swingin' Japanese version of the Batman TV theme song | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Well, it seems to start “Black mask, black cape” some bits that sound like, what “blue boots”? after that I’m totally lost.

6 Likes

“Wait Robin! My head’s caught in the circus tent that you’re trying to raise! Oh well, at least I won’t get a sunburn on my nose. Can you give me a ride back to the cave in the Robinmobile when the circus is over? Da da da da da da da da da, Batman!”

3 Likes

Adam West Dancing GIF

12 Likes

kuroi masuku kōmori manto
ōgon kin no beruto o kiririto shimete
tottemo ika su aoiro no bu-tsu
seigi no Battoman
tsuyoi bakari ga nō janai yo
yasashii bokura no tomodachisa
seigi no Battoman

black mask, bat cloak
golden belt, tightened
very cool blue boots
Batman, the righteous Batman
he’s not only strong, he’s good
he’s kind, he’s our friend
Batman, the righteous Batman

19 Likes

Something going around in the zeitgeist about Batman that this is in the feed. Another Japanese legend the 5678s of Woo Hoo in Kill Bill just released this recently:

(In case you need more Batman variants in your life)

11 Likes

Came here for this. Was not Bat-disappointed.

6 Likes

That was hep, man.

5 Likes

Very interesting that masuku and manto are borrow words (mask and mantle).

3 Likes

He’s doin’ The Batusi!

3 Likes

Very interesting that went with borrow words instead of Japanese words. Why use mask instead of kamen? Maybe to emphasize that this is an English series.

3 Likes

A bit of a departure from the actual post, but I had to pause to think about the context on this. I guess the writer was considering a roll of 2d6 with 7 being the optimal result? What was the target DC? (Although it could be a GURPS skill check, in which case 7 would be pretty decent for most skills, if not actually a critical success.)

2 Likes

Per Jeshii on YT, there is another version. Why more than one? Who knows.:

黒いマスク こうもりマント (Black Mask, Bat Cape)
黄金のベルトをきりりとしめて (Tighten up that gold belt)
とってもイカす 青色のブーツ (Very stylish blue boots)

赤黒い火をはくジェットカー (A dark red jet car that spits flames)
燃えろうよ エンジン焼き付くまで (Flame on man, until the engine burns up)
フルスピードだ それすっぱしで (Keep on driving at full speed!)

Above version is so hilariously micro-specific, that I’m surprised it didn’t include:
(Robin)
(Crotch bulge)
(Move the camera)
(Don’t show it)
(Crotch bulge)

I assume we all know the history there.

2 Likes

*** Makes sense.

Longshot alternative: It may make sense if there are no traditional Japanese masks that only cover half of the face. (???) Then again, I vaguely recall Japanese superheroes who wore partial masks.

2 Likes

My reference point for someone with kamen in his official name despite only having a partial mask is sadly…

Sailor Moon No GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.